Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

2000 Buick LeSabre: Ease of replacing window motor/regulator

Ease of replacing window motor/regulator on 2000 Buick LeSabre. Driver's window.

Hello and good evening. The window regulator is most likely the issue. Replacing it is not terrible. I will upload the instructions for you. Once you remove the door panel, you can follow the directions. Just as you proceed, secure the window so it can't slide down. Just let me know if you need any other help as you work through this job.

Your JA Expert,

Front Side Door Window Regulator Replacement

1. Remove the door trim
  2. Peel the water deflector down far enough in order to access the window clamp
    bolts. Refer to Front Side Door Water Deflector Replacement.
  3. Tape the window in place.
  4. Through the access holes in the inner door panel, loosen the window clamp
    attachment bolts 4 revolutions.
  5. Lower the window regulator 3/4 of the way down.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the window regulator motor.
  7. Remove the window regulator to inner door panel fasteners (1,2,3).
  8. Remove the window regulator.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the window regulator into the door.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the window regulator fasteners in the following order:

1. Tighten the fastener (1) to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  2. Tighten the fastener (3) to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  3. Tighten the fastener (2) to 9 N.m (80 lb in).

1. Remove the tape holding the window up.
  2. Lower the window into the window regulator clamps ensuring that the glass is
    fully rearward into the window channel when it is seated in the window clamps.
  3. Connect the power window motor electrical connector.

Important: Start the vehicle in order to ensure maximum power to
the window motor. This is required to fully seat the window for adjustment.

1. Raise the window to the full up position.

Tighten the window clamp fasteners to 11 N.m (95 lb in).

1. Inspect the window for proper operation and a tight seal around the glass
    before installing the water deflector and the trim
  2. Install the water deflector.
  3. Install the door trim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Seems simple enough. Do I use Cardone or Dorman? I have seen Dorman at $99.00 and $139.00. Cardone was around $192.00.
Use the Cardone unit. The Dorman units have had reliability issues. I won't say every Dorman unit is faulty, but they are beginning to develop a reputation and it is not pleasant to do a job twice. For the price difference, you could take the chance, but I would hate to see you have to go back in to repeat it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, don't want to do it twice. I've done my 92 Explorer (all 4 windows) and it was a real bear. Used a Dremel tool to drill away all those aluminum rivets. How much would this be if I took it to a shop or Buick dealer? I figure at least $500.00? Want to make sure my friend buys me a lot of Starbucks.....
Starbucks is a good payment method. Labor to install should be about 1 hour worth of time plus the price of the regulator. From the dealer, the regulator from GM is $270. Get the Starbucks up front :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. I'll be getting the Cardone unit for about $192.00. With this cost in hand, I can really rub it in as to how much I'm saving him. He's a good friend and pretty smart, but clueless about automotive things.
As long as he appreciates your efforts and friendship. Its generous of you to look out for him. I'm here if you need anything as you proceed. Just reach out to me on this question and I'll do everything I can for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Oh, before I forget. How do I move the regulator up and down if it is indeed broken? A little elbow grease or gentle persuasion? It is probably out of position for me to see the bolts. The diagrams you sent are a little small even when blown up.

If it is broken, you should be able to lower the window enough to unbolt it from the regulator. If you need more freedom, use a pair of cutting pliers and try to cut the remaining cables and you'll be able to move the window up and down at will. Below you will find the pictures larger. I resaved them zoomed.graphic

Once you get the new one and get access to the old one, it will be relatively obvious what you'll need to do.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. I was just looking on the Advance site and it doesn't show the driver door unit. So, I will call tomorrow to see why it isn't listed. Thanks for the help.
You are welcome. Let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to help you further if you need me.