GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Buick Rendezvous: coolant temp sensor..new radiator..3/4 of the meter

Buick Rendezvous 2002, I already replace the coolant temp sensor, the motor was repaired, new radiator, but temp control starts working between 1/2 and 3/4 of the meter.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the gauge do its normal sweep test?

Customer:

Cna you provide me details aboout the sweep test?

GM Tech (Cam) :

when you turn the key on the gauges go full on then off then up the readins .

Customer:

I haven't noticed that, give a second.

Customer:

apparently the gauges don't go to full, any of them, they go directly to normal reading.

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, do you get any warnings then about the heat?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Does the heater work gine?

GM Tech (Cam) :

sorry , fine?

Customer:

Yes, it works, In fact the warning message "engine service soon" is on always, I have to get the car scanned. Cna this fault be related with other sensor besides the ccolant?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Honestly this is sounding more like a stuck thermostat all the time. have you changed that?

Customer:

Yes, it is new, we have tried replacing most of teh cooling system components,(water pump, radiator, coolant temp sensor, thermostat). As today the temp is "controlled" but at higher temp as it supposed to be

GM Tech (Cam) :

Then all that is left is the gauge itself is faiing.

Customer:

Do you have an estimate of how much is the cost to replace it? How can I make a search for it?

GM Tech (Cam) :

most places repair them for about 100.

GM Tech (Cam) :

those are online places not a dealer.

Customer:

Have you seen this kind of fail before?

GM Tech (Cam) :

yes it is common on GM clusters.

GM Tech (Cam) :

that is why there are hundreds of places online that rebuild these.

Customer:

"Who" controls the on/off of the radiator fans, the coolant temp sensor, the gauge, the car computer...?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Powertrain Control Module

Customer:

So, do you see any risk if the motor continues working under this condition one week more, I plan to do what you suggest, but these days I don't have a alternate car.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If it does not overheat then no you can drive it like that

Customer:

Ok, weather helps also. thanks. By the wy what do you think of opinion that buick rendezvous have a bad design related to motor ventilation?

GM Tech (Cam) :

I don't buy it, I see these all the time with no issues.

Customer:

OK, thanks. I will consider your suggestions.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Be sure to bookmark this page (CTRL D) to reply with results or ask more if you need. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.