Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

98 buick park avenue: serpentine belt..and routing diagram?

Customer Question

how do i change the serpentine belt on my 98 buick park avenue? and routing diagram?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

HI.

Is this the 3.8 liter engine or 3.8 liter supercharged engine?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
regular 3.8 liter engine
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

The engine lower front passenger side mount/brace needs removed in order to be able to replace this belt.Below are the instructions for belt replacement here on this vehicle with this engine.

Important: Ensure that the wood block extends past the width of the oil pan in order to avoid damage.
1. Use a jack with a block of wood on the jack under the oil pan in order to support the engine.
2. Remove the engine mount to engine mount bracket nuts.
3. Remove the engine mount bracket front upper and lower nuts.
4. Remove the engine mount bracket front upper and lower studs and spacer.
5. Lower the engine as necessary and rotate the tensioner to remove the drive belt.
6. Remove the drive belt.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
1. Install the drive belt.
2. Install the engine mount bracket front upper and lower studs and spacers.
3. Install the engine mount bracket front upper and lower nuts.
Tighten the nuts to 78 Nm (58 ft. lbs.).
4. Install the engine mount to engine mount bracket nuts.
Tighten the nuts to 87 Nm (64 ft. lbs.).
5. Remove the floor jack.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to, i mean absolutely need to, remove all that stuff to do it? There isn't a simpler way? I haven't alot of experience so....
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
You don't need to remove the entire mount brace.If you look at the picture above of the mount brace you will see spacers that connect from the brace to the engine,if you can remove the bolt/stud from the lower brace in the picture above then you can slip the belt out and replace it without having to remove the entire mount brace and you also wouldn't need to jack up the engine or support the engine.

Remove the stud/bolt through the passenger front wheel well then knock out this spacer with a long bar and hammer,remove and install the new belt then tap the spacer back into place and reinstall the bolt/stud.

This is the way I usually do this without having to remove the entire mount brace assembly.