Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

2000 buick regal ls:

2000 buick regal ls headlights wont come on aouto or manually,checked bulbs and fuses
Category: Buick
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
Do you have a test light to performsome testing? I can tell you what to check and based on the results we can determine what is wrong.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont,but i have a voltage tester that reads 12 volt
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you can test with your tester but in some cases it could mislead you.
1) Disconnect connectors at your headlights bulbs and check if you have +12V battery voltage on the Orange and Orange/Black wires. If you do not have, then check 15A fuses HDLP ( L and R). if you have voltage, then there is a problem with the control side. It could be a headlight switch, dimmer switch or wiring issue.
2) The headlight switch provides ground path when you turn it ON. The dimmer switch switches this ground to LOW or HIGH beam bulbs.
The Black/White wire ( terminal A) at the headlamp switch is GROUND .
The Yellow wire at the headlamp switch ( terminal D) should have GROUND when you switch headlights ON. Please check these wires.
If you have ground on black and switched to Yellow, then you probably have a faulty dimmer switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would the ligts work on auto mode if th dimmer switch is bad
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 5 years ago.
If dimmer switch is bad, your headlights won't work on Auto mode as well since the headlamp relay ( controlled by body control module) provides ground to the same Yellow wire that in turn goes to the dimmer switch. The dimmer switch switches ground from the Yellow wire to the Tan ( low beam) or Lt. Geen (High beam) wires that go to the healights bulbs.