Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2000 Buick LeSabre: 2 rotors, 2 calipers, the rear brakes..bleed

I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre. I replace 2 rotors, 2 calipers, the rear brakes, all brake lines. I cannot bleed the brakes. I thought it was the ABS unit so I bypassed it by putting tees in the lines. Still cannot bleed brakes. I replaced the master cylinder and bench bled it. Still nothing. I plugged the ports on the master cylinder and did not have pedal so I returned the master cylinder for a new one. It is no better. I am stymied. Any ideas?

ok, so you get no fluid at any of the wheels when you open the bleeders, correct?

did you use solid, one-piece steel brake lines, or did you piece them together using compression or union type fittings?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the lines from a parts store. They are flared lines. There is no leak nor seepage at any place where they connect. Most of the connections go directly to the flex line above the caliper. One line going to the rear was replaced a year ago and functioned normally prior to this latest repair. The other line going to the rear is joined at the union block original with the car.

while you can try the vacuum pump to bleed it, i suspect you wont have much luck with it. Once air gets into the ABS system there is no way short of computer bleeding it to get the air out.

i know you said that you teed the lines, but that still keeps the ABS in the loop and prevents it from bleeding. you need to check on renting a scan tool with ABS bleeding capability and computer bleed it before doing anything else as this will solve the issue
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The ABS unit has been totally bypassed. There are now no lines going in nor coming out of it. Shouldn't this revert to a normal hydraulic system? I thought this might work, then I could re-connect the ABS.

Who rents these scanners and are they simple enough for a lay person to use?

That wont work as you will have air in the abs unit when you re-install it. But on the question of bypassing it completely, yes, you should have fluid at the wheels, but as almost all of the hydraulic components were off, you have a whole lot of air in the system and make take an hour of vacuum bleeding or several hours of gravity bleeding to get the air out enough to get fluid at the wheels

the scanners are self-explanatory as they screens lead you step by step on what to do. check with both Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts for rentals.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Eric. I will try this. I asked at Autozone if they had a scanner that would bleed the ABS, but they said no. I assume you are talking about a normal computer scanner. Do you have any idea how much the rental would be for this unit? I assume they are very pricey to buy.

After your kind response, I will accept the answer, thus, getting you paid. Thanks for the lead. I hope this works. This has been frustrating over the past 5 weeks and it has cost me time and money beyond the repairs.

yeah, to purchase one will run $1000-5000 for a decent one. Only other place I can think of is a tool equipment rental store. Will run $75 or more to rent.

There is one thing we can try after you re-attach the ABS unit.

Put it up on jack stands at all wheels. Start it up and put in gear and rev until speedometer shows 2025mph. Now, repeatedly slam on the brakes as hard as you can. do this about 20 times. Now, with engine idling, rebleed and see if you get fluid. What this does is activate the ABS motors(what the computer does). It will work about 50-60% of the time and allow you to skip the computer bleeding
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Your advice was well worth the price. Thank you so much. You have been more helpful to me than my mechanic friends who were all baffled.