Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM World Class Certification, ASE Master and L1 Certified, 20 plus years GM Dealership experience

2005 Lacrosse CXL: a leaky seal..expensive fix..recall

My 2005 Lacrosse CXL has a code 1811 (?); a leaky seal INSIDE the transmission which will require a horribly expensive fix. Is there a recall for this? My mechanic says this has been an on-going problem. [email protected]
Category: Buick
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
The p1811 code you have is common for this transmission. How many miles are on the vehicle??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
I deal with this code alot, here is what I do. Have your mechanic remove the transmission pan and inspect the inside of the pan. What you are looking for is an excessive amount of brass or fiber. Either of these indicate internal damage and the trans will have to come apart to be fixed. If you decide its ok, remove the valve body off the trans and clean it thoroughly. replace the pressure control solenoid and 95% of the time, this will resolve your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was told that if the transmission had to come out, it would be $1600. I'm a widow on a fixed income and just plain can't afford this. Why, if this is something you deal with "a lot" that it isn't fixed? Or at least put under a recall notice.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry thats not an answer I have for you, all I can really help you with is suggestions on how to repair it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well...that's no answer. I already knew--not the exact thing the mechanic would be looking for--but that it'd cost me more than I can afford. I was really hoping that, as this is a major and recurring issue, that there was a recall. I've owned 3 brand new Buicks and never had a real issue till this one. If this is something that I'd have to look forward to in the future, I can't afford to buy another one. Really, this was no answer.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
I I am curious is it really not an answer, or is it just not the answer you wanted??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Either. I was hoping Buick experts would know in a bit more depth than just a transmission specialist. I'll pay the $18 but I won't be signing up for the 'ask more questions' offer. Thanks anyway. No, I'm not mad; just disappointed.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
I have opted out of your question, I hope someone can help you more than I have.