Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

94 buick regal gran sport: die..you are going 5 mph or 50 mph

I have a 94 buick regal gransport. The engine will die sometimes. It doesn't matter if you are going 5 mph or 50 mph. it does not sputter or hesitate. It just dies. Any suggestions?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Which engine in your Regal? Does the engine restart easily after stalling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, It starts back up immediately without hesitation. The engine is a 3.8 liter. 6cyl automatic.
Is the check engine light ever on while driving?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, it goes off intermittantly, but stays on alot
Use the method below to check for codes. Let me know which codes you have and we can take it from there.

GM 1983-95 vehicles OBD1 codes self-retrieval

As the name implies, you can get the codes for GM cars or trucks yourself if the model of your vehicle is made before 1995, this means as soon as you see “check engine light” in your dash, you can get the code in minutes if you want.

Shown on the left is a picture of the connector where you get the GM OBD1 code.

When you find the adapter connector, use a jumper wire (see red wire above) and connect terminals A and B. Next turn your key on but don't start. Watch your check engine flash the code/s.

EXAMPLE: CODE 12: one long flash and two short flashesCODE 13: one long flash and 3 short flashes.

Note: code 12 is usually the first code you get and just ignore it.Watch the code after code 12, that's what you need.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this code reader under the dash near the steering wheel
Yes, the diagnostic port is below the drivers side of the dash, near the steering column.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could not get it to give me a code. used a diagnostic reader before and could not get code
Normally when the engine dies for no reason and the codes cannot be read, this is an indication of computer failure. Check all the wiring to the engine, wiggle the harness and connectors with the engine running to see if you can make it stall. If you find no obvious problems with the wiring then replacing the computer should fix the problem.