Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.

Buick rendezvous growling noise in power steering pump (psp

Customer Question

growling noise in power steering pump (psp area. 2005 buick Pendezvous 3.4 l fwd
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Does it make this noise all the time when running or only when turning and is it more noticed turning one direction then the other?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
noise when running but much worse when turning either direction, same . bussing, mouning, whinning.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like you have a fault in the steering gear/rack and pinion itself as you have already replaced the pump twice,bled the system and even replaced the high pressure hose.

One way you can check this is with the vehicle running when this noise happens take a pair of channel locks or pliers and find a rubber section of hose in the power steering pump pressure feed line to the power steering gear,try squeezing this line shut if the pressure kicks back on you then the pump is working.

You can also try this with the return from the gear to the reservoir to see if fluid is returning properly.

If the noise changes pitch when doing this or goes away then it sounds like your steering gear is faulty and needs replaced.

I have had to replace these on quite a few different vehicles for this type of fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we are trying the rack/pinion,will get back later.

thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it turns out,Thanks Pete!

Also make sure no lines from the rack or pump are kinked and make sure the correct fluid is used when refilling the system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Pete,

We have now replace the rack/pinion, check ALL lines, used correct ps fluid, test drove and still have the same mouning noise. we have changed noting. Noise when steering while engine running. Very audiable. sounds like coming from pump. Pump also vibrates and busses. HELP!

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
If you remove the belt from the engine can you check each pulley by hand by trying to rock it back and forth to check for excess play or by spinning each pulley to see if any are noisy or feel rough to spin?

(water pump,alternator,idler pulley,tensioner,etc.)

If you take a piece of rubber hose or an automotive stethoscope and listen around the pulleys with the engine running by placing the hose or stethoscope near each pulley and the other end near your ear can you locate where the noise is the loudest?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we are going to recheck all of these items now. will chk back.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.

Let me know as sometimes another belt driven component can cause this noise and may sound like a steering type noise.

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Techs are still checking each pulley, however we did not mention that you can feel a very a significant vibration when you place your hand on the ps pump. Have you experienced problems with auto parts store ps pumps?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I have seen some pumps faulty out of the box but usually if this is the case here you would have noticed it felt or sounded different then your last pump.If you still have the same exact feel and or sound then I don't think you have a pump at fault.

You may have another component or pulley causing this like the water pump or alternator as I have seen these cause this type of noise and makes it sound like the PS system is at fault,the vibration could be coming from one of these components and may be felt in the PS pump.

If there were any type of contaminants or metal in the PS fluid from a faulty pump or steering gear the PS system should be completely flushed out as this debris can cause premature failure of PS components as I have seen before,usually damaging either the pump or the rack and pinion gear box.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

okay, back to checking.

Installed new ps pump, same noise, maybe louder. However,we continued turning st wheel severe L, then severe R. without enging running. Noise did become much quiter but not gone. My question now is there a more effective method of bleeding the lines more?

Going to let set overnight. Will ck and followup in the am.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
In order to bleed all the air out try jacking the front of the vehicle up and turning wheel back and forth both ways all the way to the end stops with engine off up to 40 times each way.Add fluid as needed until it stops taking fluid.

See if this helps.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We discovered this last night and this am the vehicle appears to be working fine without noise.

Thanks for the help in guiding us to the right direction.

You have been very helpful.

Hope you have received your money.

thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Our welcome.

Let me know if u need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!