Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

2000 CENTURY: TCC..PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID LOCATED.HOW DO I..DIY

I HAVE A PO742 CODE ON MY 2000 CENTURY. WHERE IS THE TCC SOLENOID AND PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID LOCATED.HOW DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM AS A DIY GUY.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This code will set when there is a fault detected in the transmission fluid pressure manual valve switch assembly.This is usually caused by this component failing and not the TCC or pressure control solenoid in the transmission.

One common problem this vehicle had in this year was the transmission wiring,it rubbed through a little ways away from where it plugs in at the transmission,it usually rubs through on the ac accumulator under the hood near the transmission.Check the wiring over good and if any cuts or breaks are found in the wiring then it needs repaired and should correct this fault.

If the wiring is o.k. then most likely this TFP manual switch is faulty and needs replaced.

This is located on the drivers side of the transmission under the drivers side side cover.The axle needs removed as well as the sub frame that supports the engine and transmission needs lowered in order to remove this side pan on the drivers side of the transmission.

Once this side pan has been removed you will see this large electrical switch,the bolts remove from it and the connector unplugs from it and then it can be replaced.

It is best to have this repair done by a shop or dealer with a hoist due to needing to lower the sub frame but can be done by supporting the vehicle on jack stands in the front then using one or two jacks under the sub frame on the drivers side and removing the drivers side sub frame bolts and slowly lowering the jacks to lower the sub frame.

Labor for this can run around 4 to 5 hours and the parts cost can usually run around $150.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years Buick Technician experience and training.