Bill
Bill, Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

2003 Buick Rendezvous: traction..light kept..two front abs hubs

2003 Buick Rendezvous traction active light kept coming on. Computer said two front abs hubs needed to be replaced. Did that. Still have same problem. Put on computer again they said nothing showed up. Cleaned all connections. Was good for about a week. Now bach again.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

The computer can set fault codes and show there is an issue with the wheel speed sensor circuits but it won't say to replace the hubs. I've seen this issue numerous times and it is many times misdiagnosed as the wheel speed sensor/hub assembly. Check the wiring about 4 to 6 inches from the connector near the hub. There is a bend in the wire there that has to constantly flex as the steering is turned left to right. The wires often break inside the insulation. The wires can either be repaired or a pigtail harness is available to replace that section of wiring. Also check the connection at the abs module and insulate it with dielectric grease and trace the harness for chaffing and damage. Common areas are below the oil filter as drips from oil changes can over time damage the harness and also near the transmission case and a/c accumulator. I strongly suspect the wiring near the connectors however. Tugging on them often causes them to pull apart. I generally raise the vehicle and monitor wheel speed sensor data while tugging on the wires and look for the signal to drop out when I get to the area where the issue is.

Cheers

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Their computer check showed the two front abs hubs were the problem and they were replaced three weeks ago. Shouldn't they be OK, they are only one month olf? The second computer check showed no problems. Also purchased new tires last week. They also said they checked wiring and connectors back to front and saw no problems.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Again, The computer will show if it is reading an irratic or loss of a wheel speed sensor signal. It cannot tell if the issue is in the sensor, module or related wiring. That's where a technician comes in and must isolate the cause. An irratic wheel speed sensor signal will cause the traction control to engage and usually not store a fault code depending on how long the signal drops out. If the wheel speed sensor drops out momentarily the computer simply thinks one of the wheels is slipping and engages the system to stop them from slipping. Basically doing what is suppose to do based on the information it is receiving. If all four tires are the same size and you don't have two brand new ones and two completely worn out tires (this is important as it it makes the circumference a different size and therefore shows a slightly different wheel speed) then again, the issue is more than likely wiring related with a very small chance of a connection at the module or the module itself. The vehicle should be lifted and with the wheels turning in gear, monitor the wheel speed sensor readings while manipulating the wiring especially 4 to 6 inches from the front wheel speed sensor connectors. That is an extremely common area to have a fault and is not apparent during a visual inspection as the wires break INSIDE the insulation.

Cheers

Bill

Bill, Buick Technician
Experience: GM Certified Master Technician