kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

1997 buick lesabre: the a/c and heat will only blow out of the defrost

i have a 1997 buick lasabre and the a/c and heat will only blow out of the defrost.
Category: Buick
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

DO you have a digital climat control deck, or a turn knob control deck?

Customer:

digital

kalamykid :

if you have a digital control deck the problem is going to be in the blend door actuator motor. DO you have a digital volt meter and a test light to do some testing with?

Customer:

yes,where is the actuator located?

kalamykid :

Let me see if I have a diagram of the heat a/c box with the location for you. Be right back.

kalamykid :

The blend doors are controled by vaccum on this car even with it having digital controls.

kalamykid :

do you know where the vacuum ball is under the hood?

Customer:

no,what area of the engine?

kalamykid :

does your cruze control work?

kalamykid :

if your cruz works then that tells me that the problme will be past the vacuum ball and one way valve, and you will need to look under the dash for the vacuum leak.

Customer:

ok i am about to check the cruise,on the vacuum ball the only line i have suction from is the pink one

Customer:

ok the cruise does work

kalamykid :

WIth the cruze working you need to pull the control deck out to get to the vacuum lines behind it to see if you have vaccum going to the control deck.

kalamykid :

sorry for the delay, had to take care of a customer here in the shop.

kalamykid :

I have to step out for about an hour.

Customer:

ok,i checked the vacuum behind the control deck and it is good but no suction

kalamykid :

There was vacuum going to the lines at the back of the control deck on the purple line?

Customer:

i only have one big black line going to the place beside the back of the control head,only electrical connectors going to the control head

kalamykid :

can you give me the production date on the sticker in the drivers door jam please.

Customer:

11/98

kalamykid :

That would mean your car is a 99

kalamykid :

Let me ook up the information for the 99 so we can get to the root of your problem.

Customer:

11/97 sorry

Customer:

it is a 1998

kalamykid :

then it is a 98

Customer:

yes sorry

kalamykid :

ok you had posted it as a 97 and there was a change in the set up for the two years.

Customer:

sorry about that

kalamykid :

that is ok.as long as we have the correct data we can find the problem and get it fixed. Be right back while I look up trhe info you need.

Customer:

ok

kalamykid :

if you look under the dahs on the passanger side there is a programmer that will have vacuum lines running to it. See if you have vacuum to the purple line please.

kalamykid :

it may be easyer to get to if you pull the glove box out

Customer:

is the programer the ball?

Customer:

i have a pinkish line

Customer:

and if the pink line is the line then i do have vacuum

kalamykid :

if you set the controls to vent do you have vacuum on the yellow line with the pinkish line conected to the progrqammer

kalamykid :

are you sure you do not have a purple line? It will conect to the box seperatly from the other lines.

kalamykid :

there is a red line, yellow line, and an orange line that go to the acctuators.

Customer:

no vacuum on yellow when set to vent

kalamykid :

Then your programmer is bad and needs to be replaced.

Customer:

the programer is the vacuum ball correct?

kalamykid :

no. the programer is mounted to the side of the hvac box, that all the lines run out from.

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q