BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

1997 Buick Century: light came..the gauge on my dashboard..overheating

I have a 1997 Buick Century. The "Low Coolant" light came on, and I pulled over. The coolant in the reservoir tank was boiling, but according to the gauge on my dashboard, the car was not overheating. I took it to a shop where the guy put a new "Coolant Level Switch" in. I got the car back, and about a mile down the road, it did the same thing again! Coolant in the reservoir tank was boiling and spluttering out. Any idea what this could be?
Greetings and welcome to just answer!!!!!

When was the last time you had a thermostat replaced?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
January of 2011.

This could very well be a blown head gasket or cracked head. You will need to have a block test done to see if there are hydrocarbons in the cooling system.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The head gasket was replaced in February, right after I bought the car.
It still could be a bad gasket or head. If the car is bubbling over the block test should be done to eliminate it. The other possibility is there is air in the system and it can cause this to happen. Since there was no coolant in the bottle when you picked it up this is also a possibility. Can you fill it up and run it and see if both the heater hoses get hot?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can do that tomorrow morning. (I left the car at my office, as that's where it was when it started bubbling up.) The water is only boiling and bubbling up in the overflow tank, not where the radiator cap is.

It sounds like I should probably just take it in to a shop again. (A different one this time, since the last guy sent me home with no coolant and the problem not fixed.)
Yeah I would try a different shop for sure. This sounds like an air pocket or blown head gaskets.

Let me know if i can help further,

PS: you can always respond to me back here when you find out, even after accepting my answers.