GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Buick Regal: bypass..passlock II Anti-theft system that is locking

Where can I bypass the Passlock II Anti-theft system that is locking out my Buick Regal from starting.
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

There is a quick type of bypass if the igniton cylinder had failed. This is to get a resistor that matches the value of the pellet in the key, then wire that resistor into the wires that run to the ignition cylinder.

Customer:

I have tyhe correct resistor and had placed in in a loop between the two white wires that came out of the ignition and taped off the upper two parts, was this correct?

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is, and if that did not work then you have a fault in the BCM itself.

GM Tech (Cam) :

But can I ask how you know the theft is keeping it from running?

Customer:

after I removed the bypass the car started up and ran, then overnight when I went to start it it acted like it was grounded out.

GM Tech (Cam) :

So you may have the resistor the wrong value then. What value did you get?

Customer:

#4 for a reading of .887 my resusitor was .891

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok then you likely have a bad BCM.

Customer:

I thought so, if I install and replacement do I need to relearn the computer with the key by the 30 minute relearn sequence?

GM Tech (Cam) :

And you will need to have it programmes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

programmed with a scan tool.

Customer:

where can I get the correct scan tool and proper codes to do this? This is all new to me and I appreciate your expertise.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The scan tool is a dealer or shop item.

GM Tech (Cam) :

And if the shop can do programming then they will have all you need.

Customer:

I don't want the same occurrence 3 yrs or less down the road, is there any way to just disable the Passlock II VATS and have a normal car?

GM Tech (Cam) :

these one where the TDM is embedded in the Body Control Module and a class 2 system, it is difficult. I know of a system that does it of they are not the class 2, but yours is a class 2.

Customer:

AlarmTek makes a bypass kit will this work, I'm no electrician, but not rich either..willing to try this product.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Most require the car to be able to start to make it learn the system's codes. If you can get it to start with the key , you may be able to make it work.

GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.