Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Buick Regal I have a 1995 buick regal that will not start

Customer Question

I have a 1995 buick regal that will not start after the engine gets warm. I have replaced the crank sensor, the cam sensor, and have also replace the ignition control module as it was also bad, still after all this once the engine gets to operating temp the car will not restart right away. have to crank for a long period, and when it does start it idles rough. I do not know what else to do and I am getting very frustrated.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Are there any codes in the computer?

What is the fuel pressure at when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only code in the computer is a low a/c charge code. The fuel pressure is at 45-50

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Will the engine fire up with starting fluid when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dont know...havent tried that yet. assuming it does then what? If it does not...what r u thinking

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IF it does, then you just have a fuel delivery concern. Chances are the computer is not opening up the injectors enough.. maybe a bad MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, MAP sensor, tps or engine coolant temp sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have tried disconnecting all of the sensors you mentioned. The TPS sensor was replaced about a month ago. After disconnecting and attempting to start engine no change. once engine did start i again disconnected each sensor one by one with no change to the rough idle of the engine
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
And what about the starting fluid test?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol...gotta get some starting fluid

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good!

Let me know!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok..i will let you know here in a short while.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
SOunds good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, so, i went and tried to start the car..would not start. I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and tried again, car started, but still idled rough

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If you disconnect the fuel injector and run the engine on starting fluid, does it run any better?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
which fuel injector...each one, or where do I disconnect all of them at
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3.8

the car is down the road at the persons house who owns it, so im having to run back and forth to do this..lol. what a day

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I hear ya.. I have been there before many times...

Anyway, this engine you should be able to get to the fuel injectors. Just remove each clip at each fuel injector and see if the engine runs good with starting fluid.,

If not, then we are back to ignition
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do I just keep spraying it through the throttle body? because with the intake off it was running worse.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Just keep spraying it into the intake...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. ill let you know
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
ok..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, well i went and disconnected all the fuel injectors, the car would only run if I held the throlle open, it would not idle while spraying starting fluid into the intake.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. then you have an ignition or a valve timing problem.

I would check engine compression and verify that the engine is in good shape. It that checks out ok, I would scope the cam and crank sensor signals at the module and see what is going on. CHances are it will be in the primary ignition components.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the check engine light came on..says no code, but scan tool says cam/cran error. with the sensors both being new could something not be aligned correctly, if that is the case how do I correct it. I do not have the tools to scope the signals at the module.:( so if that has to be done off to the shop goes the car and im done with it.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You could have a bad cam sensor magnet inside the timing cover on the camshaft sprocket gear. This will cause an erratic signal just as if the cam sensor was bad causing your rough running condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if it was taken to a shop could that be tested to see if that is the cause? no when the car wont start if I spray the starting fluid in the intake it will start. Is that normal if it is the magnet? I know I am asking alot, just want to get this figured out.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YES! This can be tested at the shop.

The mass air flow sensor and even the ignition module could be the root cause as well. SInce you replaced the ignition module already, you would need ot check all of the inputs ot this module to be sure it is receiving the correct signal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. the camshaft magnet, is it also called the camshafter interrupter?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You might be thinking of a reluctor... but it would be a magnet that sits on the camshaft sprocket and goes around with the sprocket. The cam sensor then picks up on this and sends this signal to the module
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am guessing that this magnet can only be purchased at the dealership, as I am not finding it online at any of the part stores.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I believe you are correct.

But I believe this signal is just for fuel and not for spark. IF you did the starting fluid test correctly and the engine did not run any better, then chances are this is not going to be the problem because it is going to be ignition related... not fuel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so being ignition related what more should I check besides the ignition module, cam, and crank sensors
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You need ot check the power and ground at the ignition module, you need to verify that the ignition coils, plugs and wires are ok, and possible scope the cam and crnak sensor.

Also, turn the key on and check for power and ground to the cam and crank sensor to be sure that have a good reference voltage.

Also, sometimes the harmonic balancer loosens up and the trigger wheel that the crnak sensor reads get sloppy causing erratic crank signal readings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, well, then for the scope to be done on those sensors its to the shop..lol, as for everything else Ive all ready done, so who knows what is going on

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE