Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1998 Buick Regal: cylinder..10 min..3 times....the security light came

Customer Question

1998 Buick Regal....passkey issues....just replaced the cylinder lock and trying the reset process by doing the lock position run position off on 10 min etc for 3 times....the security light came on for the first part but is off now for the second and third part....is there more wrong with the vehicle if the security light doesn't come on after the first reset process?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
/Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is David and I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

Your regal should have the chip in hte key. Did you Have a new key with chip for the new lock cylinder?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes...just came from the dealer with new key....I just tried removing the negative terminal and reconnecting to reset but now security light does not come on on first try of reset process.....so....I have a new key and a new cylinder lock and not responding to the reset process.....?????
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The passkey system does not need a reset procedure. The reset procedure is for the newer passlock systems. If the key code is correct and the security module is working correctly, the vehicle will start. The fact that the security light is not on is actually a good sign. Does the engine crank over when the key is turned to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Vehicle does not turn over or do anything....just power and when turning key to start...nothing....can here a relay or solenoid or something clicking but nothing else
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can hear a relay....lol.....seriously there is nothing when trying to start the car, are these symptoms due to a low voltage at the battery now? since we have a new key and new cylinder.....is it a low battery or ignition switch itself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I won't be able to test the battery at this time...no volt meter but can I try to jump the car now to see if it will start?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Try jumpstarting the vehicle ans see if it will start.
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Same....nothing........
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry....may have received same question several times.....car will not start with a jump....same symptoms.....nothing but power to everything.....
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Does the starter engage at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NOTHING HAPPENS WHEN I TRY TO TURN THE KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No solenoid and no relay nothing.....is it the ignition switch?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Check for power coming out of the yellow wire on the igntion switch with the key turned to start. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what should be there? how many volts should be present on that wire? and if it's not is it the ignition switch?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You should have 12 volts at the yellow wire. If you do not, then check all of the red wires at the igniton switch for 12 volts. If all of these are okay then replace the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
little confused.....if I have 12volts at the yellow wire....the iginition switch is good? If I don't have 12volts at the yellow wire check the red wires for 12volts and if they have 12volts is the switch good or bad?

Are the yellow and red wires all suppose to have 12volts or just the yellow and if the red have 12volts the switch is bad?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
If you have 12 volts on the yellow wire while turning the key to start then the ignition switch is okay. No need to test the red wires.

Recheck the wiring for the igniton lock cylinder, if it is okay then the problem is likely going to be in the theft deterrent module.
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...will check for 21volts on yellow and for cylinder lock wire.....

theft deterrent module?....thought you said if security light not staying on is ok? see above dialogue....

thank you...check back with you tmrw around 3pm mt.....

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The security system is likely okay if the light is out, but still may not be sending the signal to the ECM. Let me know what you find with the wiring and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you rock thanks!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok...measured across the brown and yelllow....negative 11.16 volts static and then positive 11.16 volts when trying to start the car.....ignition switch still good then right?

What now? Battery is at 11.8volts. Standing by....thanks.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the ignition switch is still good. If you have an ohmmeter, measure resistance across the chip in the key and then insert the key in the igniton and measure resistance across the two white wires coming out of the steering column. The resistance should be the same as the resistance of the chip in the key. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
7.5kohms across the key...measuring by placing one lead on one side of chip and the other lead on the other side.....double checked by measuring key resistance and the key itself is 0.2 ohms and chip is 7.5kohms.....

checking white wires now for 7.5kohms....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
7.5kohms across the key and 7.5kohms across the connector from the ignition cylinder so the right resistance reading is there across the (two white wires or the cylinder wires)....

can we check the input or output to whatever the 7.5kohms goes to? from the connector to somewhere in the car?...theft deterrent module or ECM....not sure where that resistance value goes.....

standing by for further instructions......thanks......
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You can measure for the same resistance at the BCM (body control module) purple/white and white/black wires. If you have the correct resistance going into the BCM then diagnosis from there will require use of a scan tool to read serial data between the BCM and PCM.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

The BCM is located under the drivers side of the dash, to the left of the steering column.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ugh....well...I measured across D2(whit/blk) and D3(ppl/white) and behold 7.5kohms......

Damn.....

Well....now it's a matter of the serial data from BCM to ECM and I'm sure there are other things that could cause this as well correct?

Is there anything I can do to keep me from taking this to a repair shop? Trying to keep these repair costs down.....
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Other than trying to guess if the problem is in the PCM or BCM, you will really need to do the rest of the testing with an advanced scan tool. These are not cheap (usually a couple thousand dollars) It will be cheaper at this point to go ahead and pay the diagnostic fee to have this checked out. You do not have to go to the dealer, check with some independent shops in your area to see if they have the proper equipment available for testing.