Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.

2002 park avenue: traction off and abs warning lights come..weather

XXXXXtraction off and ABS warning lights come on in wet or snowy weather
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

From what you have described here this sounds like you may have a faulty wheel speed sensor.The sensors can get wet or the wiring to the sensors and can cause an issue like this.

This is most noticed in humid or wet conditions like this here.

The fault codes need checked with a scan tool or code reader out of the abs computer to see what codes are set as you have 4 wheel speed sensors in this vehicle here.

Once the codes are read it can then be diagnosed as to what is at fault and what needs done to repair this.

Any shop or dealer can do this for you and I have also even heard of parts stores checking fault codes free of charge in most places.

The most common are one of the front wheel speed sensors failing and causing this.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My sons car, a 99 grand am is doing the same thing so I checked it with my scanner and it said there were no codes. I don't hnow if the park avenue will result in any codes or not and I can't check it as my wife has the car on a business trip until this weekend. Is it possible to wait untill I check it to accept your answer? I will be glad to pay if I get a code.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If your code reader doesn't communicate with the abs computer it wont give you any codes as some code readers will only read engine and transmission codes.You may want to try another code reader that can communicate with the abs system or have someone that has a scan tool or code reader check this for you.

If you have no codes then the vehicle needs driven while observing data on a scan tool to observe the wheel speed sensor signals to see if one or more is reading incorrectly compared to the rest,this would be the affected wheel speed sensor.

Some grand am's had issues with a small jumper harness near the front wheel speed sensor that connects to the sensor and they had water intrusion into them and an updated harness is available from GM to correct this here.

You can come back here at any time to post before or after the accept and I will respond.

Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years Buick Technician experience and training.