kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

97 buick lesabre: .Wont shift into overdrive.Do..ripoff trans place

I have a 97 buick lesabre.Won't shift into overdrive.Don't want to take it to a ripoff trans place and don't want to put alot of money in it.Is there a way to tell if it might just be a sensor or something simple?
Category: Buick
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 years ago.

Are you having any other problems with the way the trans shifts?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no.But it had been shifting very clunky into overdrive before it finally went.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 years ago.
If the trans does not have any other issues with shifting then the problem will be in the valve body or the od clutch pack or drum. To remove the valve body to check it would require the trans to be almost pulled out as it is mounted on the driver side of the trans. If the problem is in the od clutch drum, the trans will have to come out and be torn down to correct this problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this a costly fix if I was to take it into a trans shop?As the car is old and don't know if it is worth to fix!
Expert:  kalamykid replied 5 years ago.
If the od clutch drum is going out or the od clutches are burnt you should have the trans rebuilt to make sure that you do not have any other problems with it. This will cost you around $2000.00. If the valve body is where the problem is you are looking at around $400.00 to have it repaired.