Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  17 years Buick Technician experience and training.

Buick Park Avenue car wont start. security light is on. changed

car won't start. security light is on. changed battery,waited 30 mins til hooked up cable trying to reset computer. still no luck. what can i do?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

You may have a fault with the security system in your vehicle with one of the components most commonly the cylinder that reads the key.In some cases the computer can just lose its memory on the key and the key can be re learned in order for the vehicle to start again.

Follow this procedure below to see if it will re learn the key and start again.If it does then you should be good to go from here.

If it does not then the security system will have to be tested to locate the failed component and then that component replaced to correct this condition here.

1Insert a valid mechanical coded unlearned ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. The
SECURITY indicator illuminates for the length of the auto learn timer (10 minutes).
2When the auto learn timer expires (the SECURITY indicator turns off) turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the key.
3Wait 10 seconds.
4Repeat steps 1-3 two more times (for a total of thirty minutes).
5 Insert the newly learned key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. The SECURITY indicator remains off
indicating the new ignition key was learned,then start the vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!