Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Buick Century Limited Got a 98 buick, ABS light and brake

Got a 98 buick, ABS light and brake light on. DTC codes c1246 and c1286, What likely needed to fix.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

This usually means the abs motor assembly or module has failed.......You can get a used one from to save money. Remove the gear cover on the ABS modulator. Inspect the gears for a loose retaining nut or a damaged gear. If so, replace the gears as a set, available as a gear kit. If OK, remove the motor pack from the ABS modulator, NOTE: The modulator gears may spin when lifting the motor pack up, keep fingers out of the way. This is the reason the chart requires a gear tension relief sequence, with a scan tool that is capable. Rotate the center modulator gear stop to stop. It should move 3-4 turns freely. If not, replace the ABS modulator. If OK, replace the ABS motor pack. NOTE: The C1246 indicates the motor does not move. The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) sees an immediate high current draw, not a current ramp up as it expects on initialization. This indicates a seized motor, seized actuator, or something locking the motor from moving. The C1286 sets when the EBCM has turned the Red brake light on. This happens when a C1246 sets.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think your answer is good, it goes along with what the dealer mech told me. I will work more on this tomorrow. How about another buick question? Same car rt front turn signal doesn't flash. Flasher goes double speed or more. Tried relamp no help.Bulb lights up, just doesn't flash. Since it lights up doesn't seem like a ground. What gives?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

So the left turn signal works fine and the right one just stays on? Both front and rear?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the left is fine. The right rear works, just double time.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

So the front signal light stays solid and the rear one flashes fast? If so, are you sure its actually the signal light in front staying on and not flasher light?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked that, It is the same filiment that lights up in the left turn signal. Flasher does not work rt front either.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There is a dark blue wire that goes from this bulb to the daytime running light module......There is a dark blue/white wire that goes from turn signal switch to daytime running light module for front right and a light blue/white wire that goes to module for front left.....Compare signals on these two wires when signals are on in each direction.....If both are the same going in but not going out then replace module....I'd also replace the front and rear bulbs or swap them from side to side to make sure its not a bulb problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did try changing bulbs in the rear also, no change. Where will I find this module?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Its under steering column, behind kick panel......Here is a picture. Let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.