Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 Buick Century Instrument Cluster Lights

I have a 2003 Buick Century. Lately, the dash/instrument cluster lights have not been going on as they should. Sometimes however they will go on and are as bright as they would normally be. When the dash lights do not go on, usually the radio lights are very dimly lit. Since the lights are bright when they do come on I would not think its a bulb issue? Could this be a relay? Is this something that I could check/repair without having to take the car into a shop? Otherwise the car runs fine.

Thanks,

Scott
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Locate and disconnect the IPC Dimming Module under the left side of the IPC mounted on the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) module. Turn the headlights on. Verify battery voltage present on the Brown wire. Using a suitable jumper short the Green wire to the Brown/White wire. Verify the lights now work. If they do replace the IPC Dimming Module.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dan,

After receiving your answer I looked at my Haynes repair book to get an idea on what the IPC Dimming Module looks like, but there is nothing in the book that references this part name.

I also went to Autozone to find out what the IPC Dimming Module was and how much it would cost to replace. They were also unable to find this part name in their computer?

Is there another part name?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I must have been lookign at the wrong wire diagram...At the headlamp switch when lights are dim jump yellow wire to grey wire to see if lights get bright, if so replace switch. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks - I'll give it a try this weekend.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks and sorry about the confusion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the follow-up. Unfortunatley I've been traveling and haven't been able to work on the car. Hopefully this weekend I'll finally have some time. By the way, is it necessary to disable the air-bag system for this check/repair?

Thanks,

Scott

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No, you dont need to disable airbags. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok - thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dan,

Finally had the chance to work on the care last weekend. Replaced the headlight switch and that solved the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Happy to hear its fixed, sorry about the confusion at first. Thanks.