Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2000 Buick LeSabre: warning lights lit..brake light..pressure sensor

I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre. I had the transmission replaced and when I got the vehicle back there were a number of warning lights lit on the dash...such as the brake light and some of the sensors were no longer working like the tire pressure sensor and such. The mechanic said that it was due to a bad wheel bearing. That didnt make sense to me but I was hoping that someone might have seen this before.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Buick problem.

The wheel speed sensor is located in the wheel bearing. This sensor provides input to the abs computer. The computer can use this information to determine wheel speed and calculate wheel slippage for traction control or abs functions and can also calculate tire pressure. The wheel bearing is likely bad and causing the problem. If you had no problem like this previous to the transmission repair then it is possble the wiring at the sensor was damaged during the repair, as work is done in this area to drop the front suspension subframe in order to get the transmission out and back in.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How difficult is it to repair this?

This repair normally takes about an hour to complete. If you are an experienced do it yourselfer with a decent amount of tools then you could tackle it yourself. It is best to have an air compressor and an impact gun to remove the axle retaining nut.

If you have a garage do this repair, it will usually cost around $300-350 including parts and labor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will it be the driver or passenger side bearing?
It would depend on the code in the ABS system. If the code is C1225 then the drivers front bearing needs to be replaced. If the code is C1226 then the passenger front bearing needs to be replaced. Ask the transmission mechanic what the code was when he checked it last.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a digital OBD2 reader and tried three times and got no codes. Should I be concerned that the wiring at the sensor is damaged? Is there a test proceedure for the wheel bearing to either rule it out or diagnose?

Your code reader only reads powertrain codes, it takes an advanced scan tool to read abs codes.

If you have an ohmmeter, disconnect the electrical connector going into the backside of the bearing (behind brake rotor) and measure resistance across the two terminals going into the bearing. You should have approximately 1100 ohms resistance if the sensor is okay.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your timely accurate responses. I will release the payment now. Will I still be able to ask questions on this to you after I release the payment? I may have more questions once I get to the actual repair.
Yes, I will leave the question open for follow ups as necessary. Thank you for using justanswer.