Pete, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
14928985

2001 buick century: cylinder..I step on the gas pedal..power steering

I have a 2001 buick century 6 cylinder. Every so often the car makes a whyimg sound when I step on the gas pedal. It sounds like the transmission or power steering but both a plenty of fluid. the serpintine belt looks of
Category: Buick
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Can this noise be heard more when on a cold start or first start of the day and does the noise change sound at all when turning the steering wheel side to side?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The noise comes usually after driving for awhile and it gets louder when I press on the gas. The sound does not happen every time I drive the car and if it starts it's after the car been driving for a while. Sometimes the car makes a noise when turning steering wheel when the car not making the noise but I've never noticed a change in the sound when the car making noise.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

Since the vehicle will make the noise when turning the steering wheel as well then this does sound like either a steering pump failure or the rack and pinion steering gear is failing.

These can make these noises intermittently and cause this problem.If it were transmission related then it wouldn't make the noise when turning the steering wheel.

From what is described here most likely this is the rack and pinion at fault causing this noise,eventually it may fail completely and cause more noise all the time and or no power steering in the vehicle.

If any type of wrong fluid was put in the vehicles power steering system this can also cause this noise,you may want to start with a power steering fluid drain and refill to see if it will correct the problem.

If it does need a new rack(I would have this checked/tested) then this should be done by a shop as it has to come out from under the vehicle and may require some special tools to do this repair and an alignment will have to be done after words as well.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Buick Technician
Experience: 15 years Buick Technician experience and training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I said the steering wheel makes a noise when I turn it. What I should have said it makes a noise when when the car is sitting still but not all thje time and the noise is not the same sound as the noise I hear when the car been driven for a while.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

That does help a little better with the description of this problem.

Most commonly the noise usually comes from the power steering system on this vehicle.This can be caused by the power steering pump or rack and pinion gear.It may be intermittent like this and may not change pitch when steering in some cases if enough fluid is being pushed through to operate the steering properly,it can still whine like this but steering it may not change the pitch of the noise or increase the noise.

I would still have the steering system checked,the best way to isolate where this noise is coming from is by using an automotive stethoscope to listen to the steering system and to also listen near the transmission.

It may be possible the transmission pump is making this noise.If it is this should be checked into and repaired as soon as possible to avoid any further damage to the transmission,if the pump fails then this will damage the transmission to where it would have to be rebuilt or replaced.

Pete, Buick Technician