Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2005 Buick LeSabre: the temperature gauge or fine

My 2005 Buick LeSabre gas gauge just quit working. The needle will point straight down to the temperature gauge or point straight to the left when the tank is full. Then sometimes it appears to work fine. The position is different every time I start the car. What is going on
Category: Buick
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

You could have a bad fuel gauge sending unit or a bad instrument cluster. You will need to gain access to a scanner to check a few things to see what is going on. Scan Powertrain Control Module (PCM) fuel level, compare to actual fuel level in tank, to fuel gauge. Test sender resistance, compare to fuel level in tank. Test voltage at disconnected sender harness connector Key On, Engine Off Purple wire for 5 volts, Black/White wire ground. If resistance and voltage are correct with scan data, Instrument Panel Cluster is not accurate replace IPC.

Potential Causes:
Fuel Sending Unit
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)
PCM Signal Reference
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Fuel Level
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Signal