Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

Buick LaCrosse CXL ABS and Traction Control lights keep coming

Customer Question

ABS and Traction Control lights keep coming on
Category: Buick
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Was the right front sensor replace because of a code that was retrieved from the computer? If so do you know the code and is it still coming back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. There was also a signal strength issue, which was evidently taken care of when he replaced the sensor.. He used an oscilloscope to test the wheel speed sensors. He also replaced the right front wheel bearing assembly. It showed code 40 code 41.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Do you know what code is in the computer now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I have the car back from the mechanic. I drove it, and both lights came on again. Code 41 came on once, and 40 a number of times.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
I would suspect a problem with the wiring to the wheel speed sensor, it is a common problem on this vehicle the wire typically breaks about 4 - 8 inches from the wheel speed sensor connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The mechanic said he checked the wires, and there appear to be no breaks, and no wearing or corrosion.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
You can not usually see breaks or even damage to the wiring but flexing the wires will often show a problem on a scope or scan tool, and if the speed sensor has been repaired and the same codes are coming back the wiring is most likely the problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been told it might be something in the driver's seat. The mechanic said this doesn't make sense. Would that be your assessment as well?
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Yes that would be my assessment as well it does not make sense.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He said there was weak signal strength in the right front, compared with the other three. Would the wiring problem be consistent with that?

A couple of things seem to trigger this, although sometimes nothing seems to trigger it.

The two things that have been triggers are hard right turns, and backing up and making a left while backing up. Can you see any consistency with these two triggers and your assessment of the problem?

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Yes when you are turning the wiring is flexing so that makes my answer even more likely to be to problem and yes a bad wire to the sensor can cause a weal signal.