Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

Buick LeSabre Hey ivan. I noticed my Radiator Fans not working.

Hey ivan. I noticed my Radiator Fans not working. Can u assist and share w me where the fuses and relays may be located. i have no manual. Also which ones they may be.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Sure, I will certainly help you. Here is a wiring diagram. Start with this, first disconnect the temperature sensor for the computer and see if the fans come on. When you first disconnect it, the fans should come on. If they don't jump across the two terminals with a paper clip and see if they come on. If they don't go to the fan relays and check the fuses indicated by the wiring diagram, then focus on the ground side of the relays. Start with that and let me know what you find.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi Ivan,

This instructions are alittle to complex to figure. If u r able to explain in a simpler way...would be greatly appreciated. Not too sure where the temperture sensor is located to disconnect? Start there and if can lead me thru w more instructions.

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Sure, if you are looking at the engine, you will see where the intake snorkel tube goes from the air filter to the throttlebody of the engine. Move closer to the front from the throttle body and you will find where the upper radiator hose attaches to the thermostat housing on the engine. Now follow down from the thermostat housing and you will find the temperature sensor screwed into the bottom of that thermostat housing area. First with the key on, unplug the sensor, see if the fans turn on. What usually happens is the temperature reading goes to -40F and the computer turns the fan on by default. If the fans do not come on, take a paperclip and stick in the connectors terminals so they are grounded together. This causes the reading to go the other way and record full hot, that could turn the fans on too. We want to see if the fans will come on from this point, because it will show the entire circuit is ok. Cooling fans will not turn on until around 228 degrees F or when you turn the A/C on. Start here and we'll go further
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe i found it. As instructed, i unplugged the sensor w key on. No luck. I took paper clip and inserted into where i unplugged sensor w key luck.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry about the delay, I've been out all day and just got back. Next step, look at 2 fuses for power as well as being blown, a fuse labeled 5c in the instrument panel fuse box that should have power when the key is in the run position, and fuse number 4 in the engine compartment fuse box, which should have power at all times. Both are 10 amp fuses. Let me know. Tomorrow, I should be online all day.