Bill
Bill, Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

Buick Regal 2001 BUICK BLOWER MTOR ONLY RUNS ON HIGH, TRY

Customer Question

2001 BUICK BLOWER MTOR ONLY RUNS ON HIGH, TRY TO TURN IT DOWN ,IT SHUTS OFF.I ALREADY REPLACED THE RESISTOR
Category: Buick
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

Do you have auto or manual hvac ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
manual
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

We need to check the four related fuses in the I/P fuse panel in the glove box area with a 12 volt bulb type (not led) to ground. Change the blower speed control while doing this. What we're looking for is the light to dim or even shut off when changing speeds.

Bill

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is night time right now.can check that tomorrow.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Absolutely.

Have a great evening!

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did this test the light shuts off
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Replace the ignition switch.

There is a dedicated circuit in the ignition switch that often has high resistance and therefore blower speeds are lost on the lower speeds. When on high, the blower motor pulls it's amperage through a different fuse and not through the ignition switch. Replacing the switch should correct your concern.

Bill

Bill, Buick Technician
Experience: GM Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that did no work.i put in a new switch same problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
did fix the problem
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Relist?

We can continue to work on this. I've had numerous ignition switch failures cause a loss of amperage at the low blower fuse due to excessive resistance in the switch itself. Did you not say the test lamp shut off while probing the low blower fuse? That would indicate a loss of amperage at that circuit which comes directly from the ignition switch. I can only go by the information given. Did you replace the switch itself and check the connections? Can you do the same test at the c201 connector labeled 5 in the picture below?

Register Here

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my son has the car ,i will check it soon as he get back,from out of town
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

and you disassembled the column and replaced the switch and harness labeled 1 in this picture?

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i did the ignition switch,same problem,all this started after my son had a aftermarket radio installed.will this have anything to do with this problem

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
That would all depend on what wires were tapped into, damaged or misrouted. I'm getting info in bits and pieces here. If you probed the hvac low blower fuse with a 12 volt lamp style test lamp (not led) and the test light dimmed very noticeably or went out when moving the blower bleed to anything but off or high, then there is high resistance in the circuit mentioned above. I've replaced numerous ignition switches for this. Circuit #300 in the schematic above needs to be checked. The same test performed at the c201 connector can be performed. We're looking to isolate the voltage drop.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK THERE IS NO POWER AT THE FUSES.THE TESTER WILL NOT LIGHT AT ALL NOW.THIS IS A NEW SWITCH,NOT USED,COULD IT BE BAD ALSO
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Again, have you done the same test at the connector mentioned above and at the ignition switch. Circuit 300 in the schematic above.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not yet it is very cold out side right now.should be warmer tomorrow.will check it then,what should i be looking for

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

The same thing with a test lamp. The light to dim when moving the blower control switch or a burnt terminal at the connector

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok the test light dims
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

backprobe the red wire at the same c201 connector and do the same test.

Study the schematic above with emphasis on the circuit labeled 300 (orange wire) and also the voltage feed to it before the ignition switch (red wire circuit 142). If you have a voltage drop which causes the light to dim, when in the mid blower speeds (and we know its not a blower motor problem because you said it works on high) Then the problem is either in one of those two circuits or the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no light on the red wire,now it will not blow on high,and the ac light will not go off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ac light stays on when i put in on high,but not on in low speed setting.,but now not blowing at all.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you sure it,s not the control head,someone at the dealer said it may be a bad control head.itf it is the switch i may have gotten a bad switch.hate to have to replace it again
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
Please read the schematic and check the circuits mentioned again. If there were no power on circuit 142 as you suggested, then various other systems in the vehicle would not be working such as windshield wipers. You are asking me if " I am sure" it is not the control head. I can only go on the information I get from you and the information is inconsistent and incomplete. So far you told me you have no voltage on the hvac and low blower fuse when the blower is in the med blower speeds. This is circuit 300 after the ignition switch and circuit 142 before the ignition switch. If there is no voltage to the control head I would suggest fixing that before replacing a control head. I only asked to read the schematics and check specific circuits at the c201 connector which I provided a picture to locate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok there is power at the red wire,but there is no light on at the 300 circuit org wire

Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Circuit 142 supplies power to the ignition switch. Once again, with the ignition switch on and the blower set to mid speeds, If you have power at circuit 142 red wire at the c201 connector and none at the circuit 300 at the c201 connector than the loss if power can only be between the connector and the ignition switch or the ignition switch itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK SO I NEED TO TAKE THIS SWICH BACK,NOW THE TEMP SETTING WILL NOT COME OFF OF HEAT.WHEN IT IT IN BLUE STILL HAS HEAT.IS THIS SOMETHING NEW OR HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SWITCH ALSO.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will exchange the switch tomorrow,it surpose to be a new switch,from auto zone
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok ,the problem is solved,i exchanged the switch at auto zone.installed it and everything works,thank you very much for putting up with me.i did not want to believe that a new switch would be bad,thanks
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

This isn't my first rodeo... :)

Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by Bill on 2/7/2011 at 11:16 PM EST