Amedee
Amedee, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

92 Buick park avenue: interior lights stay..car wont start..heater

Customer Question

I have a 92 Buick park avenue, the interior lights stay on always, the car won't start but engine will turn over, heater won't work. CAN YOU HELP?
Category: Buick
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

Can you tell me what led to all those problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I t is my sons car, he is in MS, I am in TX. He tried to start the engine this morning, it would turn but not start, the interior lights won't turn off and the heater won't work. He did get the engine started later and went to work. He had problems in hot weather this past summer. While on the highway the engine would stall, he would stop and wait awhile, the engine would start and run fine. This happened 3 or 4 times. The interior lights still won't turn off and the heater won't run. He did disconnect the battery this morning, when he reconnected it the engine started.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Sorry this is a little much for me. I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  JHoop replied 5 years ago.
Please wait for another expert to answer or it will lock me on your question and other experts cannot answer, JHoop
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello! New Expert here!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Are you saying that the engine cranks over but does not start?

Does the check engine light come on with the key in the on position?

Do you know if the engine has spark when cranking it over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine did start on the second try. The interior lights stay on but other lights do not come on, the dashboard lights and indicator lights do not work. The engine only started after disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery. The heater would not work but does now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
What about the check engine light? Does it come on when you turn the key on?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is my son's car, he was just able to get to work. I can't get all the details right not , will have to contact you later.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. do you want to get back ot me or would you like me to give you some ideas now and things to look at when you get a chance?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
do you want to get back ot me or would you like me to give you some ideas now and things to look at when you get a chance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. When your car is cranking over and is not starting, we will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

A simpler test would be to see if it runs on starting fluid. If it does, then you know you have spark and compression and you simply have a fuel delivery problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Does that help?

Did you have any further questions?