Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34+ yrs Dealership Exp. - Fully State & ASE Certified - GM Master & GM World Class Tech
14629990

Buick LeSabre Limited How do I open my hood when the release

Customer Question

How do I open my hood when the release is broken
Category: Buick
Expert:  Mark replied 5 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Mark.

If indeed the hood release cable is broken or there is some other issue, you'll need to crawl underneath the front of the vehicle and try to reach all the way up top and try to cut the cable as far back from the latch as you can.

The cable is that like a bicycle cable as it is a wire inside a housing. With the cable cut, you then need to strip the housing away from the inside cable. Doing this on your back and reaching up by the latch is not going to be easy. If you can cut the cable as far back from the latch as possible, it will give you more to work with.

Once the housing is stripped back, you can pull on the wire and your hood latch should operate. Below is a picture of your latch and the cable attached so you can see what you are up against.

These instructions are for IF indeed there is an issue with your cable somewhere between the latch and the handle inside the car. AND, if your latch is okay. I have no way of knowing what is going on, as I am not there to feel the handle and try to decipher whether you have a cable or latch issue.

CABLE AND LATCH PICTURE BELOW

Object Number: 306538  Size: SH