Matt J
Matt J, Buick Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes

2006 BUICK RENDEZVOUS: UNLOCK..POWER LOCKS; WHEN PUT..CONTROL...ALL.

Customer Question

2006 BUICK RENDEZVOUS AUTO LOCKS UNLOCK PERFECTLY BUT NO RESPONSE TO POWER LOCKS; WHEN PUT IN GEAR, WITH REMOTE, OR DOOR CONTROL. ALL ABOVE UNLOCK ALL APPROPRIATELY, BUT DO NOT LOCK AT ALL.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
can you try this procedure here and see if you can set the proper mode for automatic door locking?
  1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
  2. Place the vehicle in PARK.
  3. Press the MODE button for the DIC until the DIC displays PERSONALIZATION PRESS SET TO BEGIN.
  4. Press the SET button for the DIC to display TO SELECT DRIVER PRESS REMOTE LOCK and the PERSONALIZATION FOR DRIVER #, where # XXXXX the current driver number.
  5. Press the LOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter whose number corresponds to the correct driver for this session of personalization.
  6. Press the SET button for the DIC to enter programming mode.The PROGRAM MODE indicator illuminates providing the status.
  7. The DIC displays PRESS MODE FOR NEXT OPTION and then PRESS SET TO CHANGE OPTION.

1. The DIC displays AUTO DOOR UNLOCK: OFF/DRIVER/ALL.
  2. Press the SET button in order to place the arrow before the desired choice.
  3. Press the MODE button in order to advance to the next option.
  4. If the previous choice was AUTO DOOR UNLOCK DRIVER or AUTO DOOR UNLOCK ALL, the DIC displays UNLOCK: PARK/KEY OUT.
  5. Press the SET button in order to place the arrow before the desired choice.
  6. Press the MODE button in order to advance to the next option.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MY VEHICLE IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH DIC. THE POWER LOCK BUTTON IN THE DOOR HAS NO AUDIBLE RESPONSE TO LOCK ATTEMPTS, THE REMOTE HAS NO AUDIBLE RESPONSE TO LOCK ATTEMPT, BUT THE HORN DOES BLOW IN RESPONSE TO THE SECOND PUSH OF THE REMOTE LOCK BUTTON. THE DOORS DO NOT LOCK WHEN PUT IN GEAR EITHER, BUT ALL DO UNLOCK WHEN PUT IN PARK. THE REAR HATCH DOES NOT LOCK AT ALL.
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok i don't have any more information on this.hang on and let me open this up to the other experts.no need to reply back to me another expert will reply to you
Expert:  Matt J replied 3 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

With all the Locks not locking, but they will all unlock the only cause can be the Body Control Module.

If it was a fuse then the locks would not unlock.

If it was a wire then some of the locks would not work, not all.

There is no relay that you can replace, because it is an internal part of the Body Control Module.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
CAN YOU ESTIMATE ABOUT WHAT THE PRICE WOULD BE ON A NEW vs. USED BCM, AND HOW LIKELY IS IT FOR MORE THINGS TO PLAY OUT WITH THIS BCM SOON? I KNOW YOU CAN'T PREDICT THE FUTURE OR GIVE ME A COST ESTIMATE BUT WOULD APPRECIATE YOU EXPERIENCED OPINION/GUESS.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Matt J replied 3 years ago.

The Body Control Module from the GM dealer cost 237.18 and takes 1.5 hours to replace. So if the shops labor rate is $100 per hour you would be looking at $150.00 in labor. So you would be looking in the area of $400.00.

Used I have no idea.

The locks could be the only problem you ever have with it or it could have a complete failure. If it does have more problems one of the major things that could happen is the vehicle would start then die, because the Powertrain Control Module does not get a signal from the BCM that it is ok to let the vehicle run.

Here is a discription of everything the BCM does. That way if something else happens you know it could be the BCM

BODY CONTROL SYSTEM DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

BCM FUNCTIONS
The body control module (BCM) is capable of accomplishing multiple body control functions. Components directly connected to the BCM are controlled by the BCM outputs. The BCM can control its outputs based on input information it obtains from sensors and switches that are directly connected to the BCM, or by receiving information from other vehicle systems connected to the class 2 serial data link. The BCM evaluates this information and controls certain body systems by commanding an output ON or OFF.

The BCM is also capable of commanding other vehicle systems to control functions that are not directly wired to and/or controlled by the BCM. The BCM accomplishes this task by sending specific messages on the class 2 serial data link. The vehicle system capable of performing such function will respond to the BCM message.

The BCM controls/monitors the following functions:
- Audible warnings
- Indicators control
- Interior lighting
- Exterior lighting
- Power/automatic door locks
- Keyless entry
- Content theft deterrent
- Personalization
- Serial power modes
- Electrical power management

POWER MODE MASTER
This vehicles body control module (BCM) functions as the power mode master (PMM). Refer to Power Mode Description and Operation.

AUDIBLE WARNING
The body control module (BCM) provides the following audible control functions. Some audible control functions may be controlled by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Headlamp on reminder
- Key in ignition reminder
- Personalization mode
- Delay locking indication
- Keyless entry programming/diagnostic mode indication

Refer to Audible Warnings Description and Operation in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console for more information.

INDICATOR CONTROL
The body control module (BCM) provides the following indicator control functions through the class 2 serial data circuits. Some indicator control functions may be controlled by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Door ajar
- Liftglass/endgate ajar
- Park brake
- High beam
- Park lamp malfunction
- Service vehicle soon
- Personalization mode
- Security LED
- Battery

Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Description and Operation and Indicator/Warning Message Description and Operation in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console for more information.

INTERIOR LIGHTING
The body control module (BCM) provides the following interior lighting functions. Some interior control functions may be controlled by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Interior illumination control
- Backlight/Illumination
- Delayed illumination
- Illumination on key cylinder unlock
- Exit illumination
- Illumination after air bag deployment
- Keyless entry unlock illumination
- Interior lighting personalization

Refer to Interior Lighting Systems Description and Operation in Lighting Systems for more information.

EXTERIOR LIGHTING
The body control module (BCM) provides the following exterior lighting control functions. Some exterior lighting control functions may be controlled by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Headlamps
- Daytime running lights (DRL)
- Park lamps
- Perimeter lighting
- Front fog lamps
- Exterior lighting personalization

Refer to Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation in Lighting Systems for more information.

POWER/AUTOMATIC DOOR LOCKS
The body control module (BCM) provides the following power/automatic door lock control functions. Some door lock control functions may be controlled and/or sent by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- All door unlock
- All door lock
- Last door closed locking
- Lockout prevention
- Lockout prevention override
- Shift into PARK unlock
- Shift out of PARK lock
- Unlock after air bag deployment
- Delayed locking
- Delayed locking override
- Power/automatic door lock personalization

Refer to Power Door Locks Description and Operation in Doors for more information.

KEYLESS ENTRY
The body control module (BCM) provides the following keyless entry control functions. Some keyless entry control functions may be controlled and/or sent by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Remote driver door unlock
- Remote all door unlock
- Remote all door lock
- Remote activation verification
- Remote alarm
- Keyless entry personalization

Refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation in Keyless Entry for more information.

CONTENT THEFT DETERRENT
The body control module (BCM) provides the following content theft deterrent control functions. Some content theft deterrent control functions may be controlled and/or sent by other systems through the class 2 serial data link:
- Intrusion detection
- Status of the doors and rear endgate
- Lock cylinders
- Rear liftglass
- Power door locks
- The keyless entry system
- Intrusion notification
- Security indicator LED
- Flashes the headlamps
- Sounds the horns
- Disables fuel delivery to the engine
- Content theft deterrent personalization

Refer to Theft Systems Description and Operation in Theft Deterrent for more information.

PERSONALIZATION
The body control module (BCM) provides personalization of vehicle functions which allow BCM features to be personalized based on driver preferences. The following vehicle functions may be personalized:
- Headlamp exit delay
- Interior lighting delay
- Interior lighting ON
- Auto door lock/unlock
- Delayed locking
- Remote driver door unlock
- Remote lock/unlock confirmation
- Unlock feedback
- Lock feedback

Matt J, Buick Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training On All GM Makes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP.
I DON'T THINK I COULD HAVE GOTTEN BETTER VERIFICATION ANYWHERE. I WILL RECOMMEND THIS HELP TO ALL WHO MAY ASK.
Expert:  Matt J replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Any time you need help or info please let us know. We will be more than happy to assist.