Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Buick Regal Custom I need to add coolant to my 98 Buick Regal...the

I need to add coolant to my 98 Buick Regal...the coolant reservoir bottle is empty. I do not see any fill lines on the reservoir bottle. How much do I add?
I would fill it to half way if there are no marks to say how full to fill it, this is not real important it is better to have it fuller than needed than lower. The worst thing if you over fill the reservoir is that it will over flow on the ground a little.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this when the engine is hot or cold?
When the engine is cold it should be about half full, it should be a little fuller when hot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
last question: add 100% green coolant or half water & half green coolant?
I usually test the existing coolant first if it is good and strong add a 50/50 mix if the existing coolant is weak add all coolant. If in doubt or do not have a tester add a 50/50 mix.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2 weeks ago, the little 90 degree plastic fitting that connects to the manifold failed & drained the engine. I had it towed & they refilled it with nre coolant. So, I am dealing with all nre coolant...not sure if they used a 50/50 mix or not.
I'm not sure what you mean by nre?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry...that's new coolant. So, if it's all new coolant, I use a 50/50 mix. correct?
Yes it should be at a good temp level if it is all new, so yes I would use a 50/50 mix.