BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience

2008 buick: engine light came..diagnostic..cooling..overheating

Customer Question

2008 buick lucerne - 63000 miles - engine light came on - onstar did diagnostic - said engine was not cooling correctly - checked coolant level and was full - is not overheating - any ideas?
Category: Buick
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.

What was the code # XXXXX we can get correct info?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Finally got a code - P0128 - Cooling System not performing as it should be - not urgent - still drivable - need to have checked in 7 to 9 days. The light stayed on thru this morning, and when I went out to lunch today, it went off - I had a Trailblazer that used to do that - the check engine light would come on and as soon as I filled up with gas or fiddled with the gas cap, the light would go off - I think they told me it was a sensor back when I had that car. I had someone tell me it could be the thermostat - any suggestions -
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.

This is a code for a thermostat staying open too long. Replace the thermostat and refill with coolant then clear the code you should be good to go. If you want to do it yourself let me know the engine size and I will give you the procedure.

Let me know if I can help further,