Experience:  GM world class, ASE master tech w/ L1 advanced driveablity, 15yrs experance bumper to bumper

rear brake caliper piston when installing new pads..clamp..tool (part

Customer Question

how do I retract the rear brake caliper piston when installing new pads. front calipers were no problem used a c-clamp, but back has odd caliper and a make-shift tool (part of a wheel puller device) seems to be pushing quite hard and the piston does not retract. I even opened the bleeder thinking there might be a check valve in the brake line.????
Category: Buick
Expert:  MPMoore replied 5 years ago.

The rear caliper piston has to be turned wile pushing it in. The piston has to be turned clockwise to get the piston back in to the caliper. You can buy a special tool at your local auto parts store or you can try and do this manually.

Object Number: 105774  Size: SH

Retract the brake caliper piston (2) into the brake caliper bore. Use a spanner type wrench to turn the piston (2) clockwise until it bottoms in the brake caliper bore and align the piston.