Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience
16282319

Buick LaCrosse CXL Are there coolant drain plugs on the 2005

Are there coolant drain plugs on the 2005 Lacrosse 3800 engine and radiator? Is the bleed screw on the thermostat the only one there is ? Or is there one on the intake manifold or head also? Thanks.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question! I am going to send you information on how to drain and refill the cooling system. Thank You Ken Cooling System Draining and Filling (L26)

Draining Procedure

Tools Required

J 26568 Coolant and Battery Fluid Tester

Caution: To avoid being burned, do not remove the radiator cap or surge tank cap while the engine is hot. The cooling system will release scalding fluid and steam under pressure if radiator cap or surge tank cap is removed while the engine and radiator are still hot.

Important: Draining the cooling system with the pressure cap installed will syphon the coolant from the overflow tank.

1. Remove the coolant pressure cap.
  2. Place a drain pan under the drain cock.
  3. Open the radiator drain cock.
  4. Drain the cooling system.
  5. If a complete engine block drain is required for the L26 or L32 engine, remove the knock sensors.
  6. Inspect the coolant.
  7. Follow the appropriate procedure based on the condition of the coolant.
    Normal in appearance--Follow the filling procedure.
    Discolored--Follow the flush procedure. .

Filling Procedure

Notice: The procedure below must be followed. Improper coolant level could result in a low or high coolant level condition, causing engine damage.

1. Close the radiator drain cock.
  2. If the engine block was drained for the L26 or L32 engine, install the knock sensors. .
  3. Open the cooling system bleeder screw.

Important: Use a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL antifreeze and clean, drinkable water.

4. Slowly fill the cooling system with a 50/50 coolant mixture.
  5. After the coolant is visible and stable at the filler neck, push down on the upper radiator hose to remove air. While pushing down on the radiator hose ensure that the filler neck is full of coolant.
  6. Close the cooling system bleeder screw.
  7. Release the upper radiator hose and add coolant to the filler neck.
  8. Push down on the upper radiator hose and try to move any air in the upper hose back to the radiator. Repeat this step three times and add coolant to the filler neck each time.
  9. Install the coolant pressure cap.
  10. Fill the coolant recovery bottle to the indicator line.
  11. Start the engine.
  12. Run the engine at 2,500 RPM until the engine is hot enough to open the thermostat.
  13. Allow the engine to idle for 3 minutes.
  14. Shut the engine OFF.
  15. Allow the engine to cool.
  16. Top off the coolant as necessary.
  17. Inspect the concentration of the engine coolant .
  18. Rinse away any excess coolant from the engine and the engine compartment.
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Knock Sensor 1 Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Hot engine coolant may cause severe burns. Although the cooling system has been drained, coolant still remains in the engine water jacket. This coolant will drain with the removal of the knock sensor.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Disconnect the knock sensor electrical connector (2).
  4. Remove the knock sensor (1).

Installation Procedure

Register Here

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important: DO NOT apply thread sealant to sensor threads. The sensor is coated at factory and applying additional sealant will affect the sensors ability to detect detonation.

1. Install the knock sensor (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the knock sensor to 19 N·m (14 lb ft).

2. Connect the knock sensor electrical connector (2).
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Fill the cooling system.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Knock sensor 2 wants you to remove the transmission to get to it. Ken Knock Sensor 2 Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transmission. .
  2. Raise and support the vehicle. .
  3. Drain the cooling system.
  4. Disconnect the knock sensor electrical connector (3) from the knock sensor.

Register Here

5. Remove the knock sensor (4).

Installation Procedure

Register Here

1. Install the knock sensor (4).

Tighten

2. Connect the knock sensor electrical connector.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Fill the cooling system. Install the transmission. .
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
If you are just doing a service ,I would just drain the radiator. Then refill to system with water. Drain to again after driving and letting it cool. Then fill it with Dex cool. Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician