Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 Buick lesabre: wont crank..relays..tightened..checked fuses

I own a 2001 Buick lesabre that occaisionally just won't crank. So far the mechanic [who is good] has checked relays, had me unhook remote car starter, tightened battery cables, checked fuses, wires, etc. Two visits to the shop and 600.00 dollars later it still does it. He made me a starter switch out of a relay that will crank and start the car, you have to pull out a relay,plug this one in start the car then put regular relay back in. Car may go for 2 months fine then might not crank 2 days in row. No reason or regularity, also never a code. I am scheduled to go back next week, have any ideas?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Ignition switch is a common failure on this vehicle......Next time problem happens access wires going to igniton switch. Red wire shoudl have voltage at all times and yellow wier shoudl have votlage when key is in start position. If only red wire has voltage replace ignition switch. If good you will need to see if pcm is grounding starter relay....If so but starter relay isnt clicking replace wire between relay and switch......IF pcm isnt grounding starter you will need to check for codes in body control module. here is a wire diagram, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So far the car always cranks at the repair shop, so unless the car doesn't crank the switch will test good?

Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

You will need to wait until it doesnt start to do tests.....Then follow voltage from the ignition switch to the pcm to the starter relay to see where it drops off at. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.