Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I own a 1994 Buick Park Avenue, the Brake Light and Bell went

I own a 1994 Buick Park Avenue, the Brake Light and Bell went off, I checked needed fluid, added fluid but still the light & bell are going off; I took it into a Brake Shop which had done a complete overhaul in Oct 2008 to find out whats going on - they tell me that its a short in the brake fluid sensor in the Master Cyl and that they cannot just replace the sensor. I've seen brake fluid sensors for sale online, can this be done? Also if I disconnect the sensor switch to turn off the bell what else might be disconnected?
The sensor is replaceable separate from the master cylinder reservoir. The problem could also be a stuck float inside the master cylinder. Disconnecting the sensor will cause the light to go out and will not cause problems with any other system. If you are going to disable this sensor, I would suggest that brake fluid levels are checked regularly, like when the oil is changed.