ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech,automotive instructor for 28 years and factory train

Changing the fuel pump in my 2000 Buick Century 3.1 Liter

Customer Question

Category: Buick
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 3 years ago.
hi if you are going to replace the fuel pump you need to make sure the tank is low on gas if not you will need to drain the tank, let me see if i can find a remove and replace procidure that you can use to do the job safe. MAKE SURE YOU COPY OR PRINT THIS PAGES RIGHT AWAY. LIKE NOW!

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION: Fuel Vapors can collect while servicing fuel system parts in enclosed areas such as a trunk. To reduce the risk of fire and increased exposure to vapors:

• Use forced air ventilation such as a tan set outside of the trunk.
  • Plug or cap any fuel system openings in order to reduce fuel vapor formation.
  • Clean up any spilled fuel immediately.
  • A void sparks and any source of ignition.
  • Use signs to alert others in the work area that fuel system work is in process .

NOTE: Clean all of the following areas before performing any disconnections in order to avoid possible contamination in the system:

• The fuel pipe connections
  • The hose connections
  • The areas surrounding the connections

IMPORTANT: Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Relieve the fuel system fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
  2. Remove the spare tire cover, the jack, and the spare tire.
  3. Remove the rear compartment trim panel.
  4. Remove the nuts retaining the fuel sender access panel.
  5. Remove the fuel sender access panel.
  6. Disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
  7. Disconnect the fuel sender electrical connector.
  8. Clean the fuel pipes, and fuel sender assembly to prevent possible fuel contamination during removal.
  9. Disconnect the quick-connect fittings at the fuel sender assembly.

IMPORTANT: The modular fuel sender assembly will spring-up when the snap ring is removed.

Register Here

1. Remove the fuel sender retaining snap ring.
  2. Remove the modular fuel sender assembly.
  3. Clean the fuel sender assembly O-ring sealing surfaces.
  4. Inspect the fuel sender assembly O-ring sealing surfaces.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

NOTE:

• Refer to Fuel System Ground Notice in Service Precautions.
  • Always re-attach the fuel lines and fuel filter with all original type fasteners and hardware.Do not repair sections of fuel pipes.

IMPORTANT:

• Care should be taken not to fold over or twist the fuel pump strainer when installing the fuel sender assembly, as this will restrict fuel flow. Also, assure that the fuel pump strainer does not block full travel of float arm.
  • Be sure that the fuel sender assembly retaining snap ring is fully seated within the tab slots on the fuel tank.
  • Always replace the fuel sender O-rings when reinstalling the fuel sender assembly.

Register Here

1. Position the new fuel sender assembly O-ring on the fuel tank.
  2. Place the fuel sender assembly into the fuel tank.
  3. Install the fuel sender assembly retaining snap ring, while holding the sender assembly in place.
  4. Connect the fuel sender electrical connector.
  5. Connect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
  6. Connect the quick-connect fittings at the fuel sender assembly.
  7. Install the fuel filler cap.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Inspect the fuel system for leaks by performing the following steps:
9.1.Turn the ignition switch ON for 2 seconds .
9.2.Turn the ignition switch OFF for 10 seconds .
9.3.Turn the ignition switch ON.
9.4.Inspect for fuel leaks.

Register Here

1. Install the fuel sender access panel.

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Reinstall the (7) nuts retaining the fuel sender access panel.

Tighten
Tighten the fuel sender access panel nuts to 10 N.m (8 lb ft) .

1. Install the rear compartment trim panel.
  2. Reinstall the spare tire, the jack, and the spare tire cover.