GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2000 buick regal: car starts fine but wont come out of park.

I have a 2000 buick regal. It is stuck in park. The car starts fine but won't come out of park. The car is not bound up, the steering wheel is free the car is on flat ground, the break lights come on when the brake in depressed, and pushing the park release button on the console does not release it from park. When in push in the button on the shifter in can hear a click in the steering colume.
Category: Buick
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

Customer :

I explained the issue what do you think

GM Tech (Cam) :

I think there is a solenoid in the shifter that is not releasing.

GM Tech (Cam) :

it is the brake shift interlock.

Customer :

When I press the park release button it still won;t release. If it were the interlock it should release right?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Correct, there is a solenoid below the button in the shfiter assembly that locks that button out. Normaly stepping on the brake energizes the solenoid.

Customer :

The interlock is located on the shifter? Buick dealer said I can't buy the interlock alone I must buy the hole shifter for $400 does that sound right

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes unfortunatly it does

Customer :

The release button I'm talking is on the console for emergency use.

GM Tech (Cam) :

A hidden button?

Customer :

Yes that right. also when I press the botton on the shif handle I can here a click in the steering colume

GM Tech (Cam) :

The click in the column is the ignition interlock.

Customer :

The button on the shifter seems to be working it goes down and I hear a click

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, has this been acting up before?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Try shifting with the hidden button and the off.

Customer :

Never had this problem before. I tried hold the hidden button and shifting but no good.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, i still suspect the shifter, but to check I would set the parking brake, open the hood, pop the linkage offf at the transmission and make sure you can move it by hand, the transmissoin lever that is.

Customer :

So if the trany shifts with the linkage off your reccomendation is to replace the shifter assembly?

GM Tech (Cam) :

There is one more part, take the linkage off at the shifter and see if the cable moves the transmission, then after that, yes I suspect that is the issue.

Customer :

Are there any fuses that may be preventing the interlock from releasing? and why does the emergency park release button not release the interlock

GM Tech (Cam) :

THe fact that the emergency release does not work is what makes me think it is not electrical.

Customer :

I should be able to see the interlock if I disassymbly the center console right? May the interlock is gumed up.

GM Tech (Cam) :

It may very well be or a link has come off. I suspect you should be able see something if there is something to see when you get it apart.

Customer :

Thanks for the help. buy

GM Tech (Cam) :

You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.