GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Buick Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2005 buick rainier: the load leveling rear air suspension has a leak

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Buick Ranier and the load leveling rear air suspension has a leak. The back end is sitting down low every morning. It comes back up with the pump. I suspect a slow air leak. How do I troubleshoot? Thanks for your help.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

Hello, The control system for the leveling system while a bit complex, is not very complex as far as leak detection. It seems you likely have a leak in one or both of the air springs. There may also be a leak in the valving of the pump assembly. Generally the vehicle is raised for access and the air springs inflated. Once prepared, spraying the components with a solution of soapy water is used to locate air leaks. When it is sprayed, it will bubble. If no leak from the air springs is found, it is generally an internal failure in the valving of the pump assembly. The air springs however, are the more common failure,

Cheers!

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, what would be an approximate cost for parts if an air spring or valve in the pump is leaky? Also, do I replace just the leaky air spring or are they replaced in pairs? Second, if the valving in the pump assembly has failed, can I replace just that part or do I have to replace the entire pump assembly? Last, how difficult is it to replace any of these parts? I have plenty of tools and a little knowledge how to use them, but I don't want to start on a difficult repair that would be hard or dangerous for a non-mechanic. Also, I don't have a lift at my disposal - only hydraulic jacks.
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

I would have to check tomorrow on potential parts costs. Unlike shocks, air springs do not have to be replaced in pairs unless of course both are leaking. I can you that the last time I replaced a pump assembly, individual parts were not available. It is the entire assembly. There have been some issues with sensors and ride height but being as (I understand it) the concern is dropping overnight but then raising to a proper level it is likely it is a leak we are dealing with. Replacing the air springs could potentially be done with jacks however for safety reasons I wouldn't recommend it.

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you possibly have the part numbers for the air springs and the pump assembly? I can research the costs myself if I have that. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Bill replied 6 years ago.

I can opt out if you prefer and another expert may be able to help with part numbers. My parts department has closed here on the east coast.

Cheers!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX like to find part numbers and do the research tonight if I can.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I'm Cam
I will answer your question quickly but we may need to discuss this further. Please reply to continue the discussion.

Level control compresor 25978169

Shock part number is XXXXX delco # XXXXX or the following, 15172342, 25820694, 25820699, 25865982 but you need the VIN and a dealer parts comptuer to match for sure which ones it is.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. The vin # XXXXX XXXXX Do you have the dealer parts computer?
No, that is only in the dealership parts counter.