Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

1997 buick le sabre error code 0442 and 1406 idling rough

The p1406 is a EGR code and is most likely what is causing you problems, the EGR will need to be replaced. The code P0442 is a evap code which is for a small leak detected and is often caused by a bad gas cap, usually there are no run ability problems with this code.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible to clean the egr valve. and do you have a pic so i know what to take off

Usually cleaning these does not help but if you want to try just remove it and use a brake cleaner and spray it out, you will need to push the pintle (valve on the bottom) up to spray inside, below is a pic of the valves location.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
know where I can get one cheap..Looked at auto zone online..seems expensive..
Yes they are kind of expensive for this vehicle, but I would say that auto zone is probably one of the cheaper places to get one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cleaned it and cleared codes ..didn't come back..hopefully it worked.if not i'll have to buy one..thanx for your help.
Great, I hope it works as well, good luck