Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified for over a half century. GM trained.
12331040

my theft system light flashes if my car wont start the first

my theft system light flashes if my car wont start the first time i try to start it. how do i by pass this or replace it?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will use all of the available technical information at my disposal to assist you with your vehicle concern.

First off, you don't bypass this system.

You are at the point of needing the BCM {Body Control Module} coded to see if there is a Pass Lock Issue. It could be communication from the key to the ring, ring to box, etc.

For starters, turn the key to the on position and walk away for 10 minutes. When the light goes out, it has relearned. If not, or you have repeat issues, then you will need to visit a shop that can talk to your BCM.

Scott.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so when it dont start put it to ON position for 10min or so an this will reset the pass lock thingy? And if not i need to go to a shop. what is the BCM an can i replace it myself, or is it better to have a shop do this for me?
BTW hi Scott, My name is Mary
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

Hello Marry,

Yes, the 10 minute procedure should reset IF, and that is the big IF, there are no pass key system issue, as well as even having a key that is malfunctioning. {if there is a second key, have you used it?}

As far as the shop and the BCM issue, the BCM usually is not the problem, the pass key receiver and key usually are. The BCM will need to me interfaced and data retrieved to determine the next step. Please don't throw parts at your car.

I would call you shop, if you have one you trust, and see if they can handle this if the 10 minute reset does not help.

I miss the old days, like many customers. If people could be trusted, they would not have installed all this security stuff.

If you have further questions on this matter, please ask.

Good luck.

Scott

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok i will try that an yes i do have a second key.. I was wondering if you could help me with one more question but it is on a ISUZO Rodeo LS 1999. when i put on my headlights all 3 of my brake lights come on an stay on? If i turn off the lights they go out.
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

I would have no problem assisting you; however, the JA people in charge request that each new question be opened with a new link.

To throw you a bone, it sounds like a multi function switch, but I would reccommend diagnostics first, and if your handy with a test lamp and a screw driver, I would be more than happy to assist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well thank you Scott. I am handy with a test lamp an crew driver lol an will exsept your help.
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

Good. Just reopen another question with the vehicle info, and request me.

I will assume we are finished with the Buick then.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I put the key in the on position an waited 10min an that seemed to work.. It doesnt last long tho an i have to keep doing this... What part do i need? I know they have 2 parts in their for it... Should I just get both ????
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

This project involves disassembling the column shroud and disarming the air bag system. I know you have your heart in doing this job, but it is not a job for a novice.

I attached a picture of what you have to remove to access the cylinder. Now, the IPC could also be an issue. You would need a scan tool and have data read and even run some pinpoint diagnostics to determine what is faulty.

Your reoccurring no start is an escalated problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am having a shop put this in for me. I want to order the part to bring to them. I can save a great deal of money if I purchase this for them an take with me in hand to them.. I saw one called a ignition cylnoid.. or modular...
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.
That is a problem. You need to know exactly what they are looking at to replace. It is way too expensive for me to guess a part.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
for the complete ignition assembly advance auto charges $250.00 thats with keys.. does that sound about right.??. give or take...
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

Is that what they said was the problem? Does that include a key with a chip? Are you sure the IPC is not the issue? If this is what you are sure is what they are looking for, yes, that is not a bad price; however, I feel a declo part is a better bet, and I would bet that is what the shop is installing.

Warranty wise, I would reccommend not supplying your own part,

Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified for over a half century. GM trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is what they are telling me.. It is a real trustworthy shop.. they dont seem to want too rip people off...
Scott, thank you very much for your help...
Have Wonderful Holidays You & Family...
Thank You, Mary
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Alway better to let the shop do the complete repair. You are covered better if there is a warranty issue.