John, Buick Master Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified with 40 years experience.

2004 buick rendezvous: a ticking noise..speeds..slows down..accelerate

I have 2004 buick rendezvous, it is making a ticking noise about 7 sec after the car is started and continues to do so during driving. The ticking speeds up and slows down as you accelerate or decelerate respectively. I can't figure out where it is coming from or what to do about it. HELP!!

Hello & Welcome to JA,

This can be a valve lifter or an engine component that is turned by the engine belt.have someone (professional) listen to it & help you decide what the noise is.I have seen valve lifters,rocker arms,& timing chains do this.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would you need to take the top of the engine off to get to the valve lifter or rocker arm? Is this harmful to the engine or vehicle?
Yes,the valve cover would need to come off to access the rocker arm.This type noise can go on for thousands of miles with out engine damage.