Jim B
Jim B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AAA Approved Repair Shop 38 Years experience

2001 buick lesabre: stalls at idle..runs fine..cruise control..TPS

Customer Question

2001 buick lesabre that stalls at idle. Only at a stop or in park and it does it when the engine is cold or hot. it runs fine down the road as long as I'm on the gas or the cruise control. Could it be the TPS? If so where exactly is it located? I know its under the engine cover but where?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Jim B replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JA . my name is Jim . On your Buick there are several things that can cause this to stall at low speeds. Does it start right back up? If so there are some checks that will need to be done. If you would like me to guess I would say :
To check this out the following will need to be done> To answer your question the TPS will not cause this to happen. The fuel gauge could be in dash or more than likely the unit in the tank call a sending unit. The skill level to check this out and make a good diagnois for both items would be an 1 on a scale of 1-4 with 4 being the easiest.
The cranshaft position sensor requires removal of the harmonic balancer on the front of the engine . Pictured below. The vehcile should be scanned before work is done. graphic

Hope this gives you some insight to you problem. I will check back to see if you need more information or direction. Jim

5 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
1 - Fuel Pressure Regulator
1 - Fuel Pump
Throttle Bore is Dirty
1 - Fuel Pump Relay
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I doesn't die at low speed or any speed at all. It dies in park or completly stopped. Ie: stop light or sign. And it starts right back up again. But once u let off the gas pedal 9 times out of 10 it stops, dies, stalls ect....
Expert:  Jim B replied 4 years ago.
OK then the TPS is not the issue it would cause a hesitation or a very high idle. Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Check engine light is on. Some times u have to feather the gas pedal to keep it running too. That's usually what I do when I have to stop to keep it runing. And yes chk engine light is on.
Expert:  Jim B replied 4 years ago.
We will need to know why the light is on .. It will need to be scanned and the data and any codes retrieved first. I listed a test procedure that needs to be done first. If you do not have access to a scanner then a my best advise is to have someone scan it , let you know what is wrong and then see if the repair can be done by you on should be done by a professional shop. The throttle body can be causing the stalling but will normally not turn on the check engine light. You could have more than one problem. This is my best advise to you at this time. Without the proper equipment , and tools it is a shot in the dark. Sorry for you problem with your vehicle.
Jim
Expert:  Jim B replied 4 years ago.
Just checking in , where do you want to go from here? thanks Jim