Gary
Gary, Buick Technician
Experience:  15 years master GM tech and mater ASE tech

2001 buick lesabre custom ac clutch removal what are the steps

Customer Question

2001 buick lesabre custom ac clutch removal? what are the steps to do this?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
there are special A/C tools to remove and install the outer plate.it is pressed on and the tool presses the outer plate off then you change the clutch then you reverse the tool to reinstall the plate

• J 33022 6-Point 13 mm Socket
  • J 33027-A Clutch Hub Holding Tool
  • J 33013-B Hub And Drive Plate Remover And Installer
  • J 34992 Compressor Holding Fixture

1. Clamp the J 34992 in a vise.
  2. Attach the A/C compressor to the holding fixture using the thumb screws.
  3. Use the J 33027-A in order to prevent the clutch hub and drive plate assembly from turning.
  4. Use the J 33022 in order to remove the shaft nut.

1. Thread the J 33013-B into the hub.
  2. Use a wrench in order to hold the body of the J 33013-B.
  3. Turn the center screw into the body of the J 33013-B in order to remove the clutch plate and hub assembly.
  4. Remove the shaft key. Retain the shaft key for reassembly.

• J 33013-B Hub and Drive Plate Remover and Installer
  • J 33022 6-Point 13 mm Socket
  • J 33027-A Clutch Hub Holding Tool
  • J 34992 Compressor Holding Fixture

1. Install the compressor into the J 34992.
  2. Install the shaft key (4) into the key groove of the clutch plate and hub (1).
    • Allow the key to project 3.2 mm (0.126 in) out of the key groove.
    • The shaft key is curved slightly in order to provide an interference fit in the key groove of the hub.
  1. Clean the frictional surfaces of the clutch plate and hub and the clutch pulley rotor (2).
  2. Align the shaft key with the shaft keyway (3). NOTE: Do not drive or pound on the clutch hub or the shaft. Internal damage to the compressor may result.
  3. Place the clutch plate and hub assembly onto the compressor shaft.

1. Remove the center screw from the J 33013-B.
  2. Reverse the body direction of the center screw of the J 33013-B.
  3. Install the J 33013-B with the bearing.
  4. Back off the body of the J 33013-B in order to allow the center screw to be threaded onto the end of the compressor shaft.
  5. Hold the center screw of the J 33013-B with a wrench. NOTE: If the center screw is threaded fully onto the end of the compressor shaft, or if the body of the installer is held and the center screw is rotated, the key will wedge and will break the clutch hub.
  6. Tighten the hex portion of the body of the J 33013-B in order to press the hub onto the shaft.
  7. Tighten the body of the J 33013-B several turns.
  8. Remove the J 33013-B.
  9. Verify that the shaft key remains in the keyway before installing the clutch plate and hub assembly to the final position.
  10. Ensure that the gap between the frictional surfaces of the clutch plate and the clutch rotor is within 0.40-0.50 mm (0.016-0.020 in) .
  11. Remove the J 33013-B.
  12. Verify that the shaft key is even with or slightly above the clutch hub.
  13. Install the shaft nut.
  14. Hold the clutch plate and hub assembly with the J 33027-A. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  15. Tighten the shaft nut against the crankshaft shoulder, using a 17.5 N.m (12.5 lb ft) torque wrench and the J 33022. Tighten Tighten the nut to 16.5 N.m (12 lb ft) .
  16. Spin the pulley rotor by hand in order to verify that the rotor does not rub the clutch drive plate.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
how are you making out?