Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do you remove the Window motor on a 1993 Buick Century

How do you remove the Window motor on a 1993 Buick Century?
Category: Buick
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Directions are below:

DOOR PANEL:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove all door inside handles.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: A retaining spring clip fastens the window handle to the spindle

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Use tool J-9886 or equivalent to disengage the retaining spring from the window handle

1. Remove door inside locking rod knob.
  2. Remove screws inserted through door armrest and pull handle assembly into door inner panel or armrest hanger support bracket.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the armrest by dislodging the screw plugs, then unfastening the screws that secure the armrest

1. On styles with remote control mirror assemblies, remove the remote mirror escutcheons and disengage the end of the mirror control cable.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: If your vehicle is equipped with a remote mirror, remove the mirror assembly, then the escutcheons. Disconnect the cable from the mirror head

1. On styles with power window controls located in the door trim assembly, disconnect the wire harness at the switch assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: On power window models, simply lift the switch assembly out of the mounting area and disconnect the harness from the switch

1. Remove the remote control handle escutcheons screws.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Remove the screws holding the escutcheon over the door handle assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Slide the escutcheon (bezel) forward to clear the inside locking rod, then slide the escutcheon rearward to disengage its tabs on the front from the trim panel. This will give you access to the wiring harness

1. On styles with integral armrests, remove the screws inserted through the pull cup into the armrest hanger support.
  2. Remove screws and plastic retainers from the perimeter of the door trim pad using tool BT-7323A or equivalent and a screwdriver. To remove the door trim panel, push trim upward and outboard to disengage it from the door inner panel at the belt line.
  3. On styles with courtesy lamps located in the lower area of the trim panel, disconnect the wiring harness at the lamp assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: The courtesy lamp can be removed by prying out with a suitable tool, then disconnecting the wiring harness leading to the lamp

To install:

Before installing the door trim panel, check that all trim retainers are securely installed to the panel and are not damaged. Replace damaged retainers as required.

1. Connect electrical components where present.
  2. To install the door trim panel, pull door inside handle inward; then position the trim panel to the inner panel, inserting door handle through hole in panel.
  3. Position the trim panel to the door inner panel so trim retainers are aligned with the attaching holes in the panel and tap the retainers into the holes with a clean rubber mallet.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Make sure to align the door trim panel with the holes in the door before applying pressure to secure

1. Install the armrest into the inner panel or armrest hanger support brackets. Assemble the locking rod knob, then all inner door handles.
  2. Connect the negative battery cable, reset the clock and radio.

WINDOW MOTOR:

1. Remove the door trim panel and inner panel water deflector.
  2. Raise the window to the full up position and tape the glass to the door frame using cloth-backed tape.
  3. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  4. Remove the lower sash bolts.
  5. Punch out the center pins of the regulator rivet. Drill out rivets using 1 / 4 in. (6mm) drill bit.
  6. Move regulator and motor assembly rearward, then remove the electrical connector.
  7. With the regulator in the door, drill out the regulator-to-motor rivets using a 1 / 6 in. (4mm) drill bit, then remove the motor.

To install:

1. Install and connect the window motor.
  2. Use 3 / 16 in. (5mm) rivets or 3 / 16 in. (5mm) nuts and bolts to install the motor to the regulator.
  3. Connect the electrical wiring, then install the regulator and door inner panel using a 1 / 4 in. (6mm) rivets.
  4. Install the lower sash bolts, tighten to 62 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
  5. Install the water deflector and remove the tape from the window.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable, reset the clock and radio
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.