John, Buick Master Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 w/L1 GM master technician.Factory certified with 40 years experience.
6408229

My 2002 Buick Century apparently has a security system that

My 2002 Buick Century apparently has a security system that makes the car unable to start if you happen to use the keyless transmitter to lock the car while the doors are still open. There is something that you have to do with the door key to get it to cancel the security lock out so the car can be started by I have forgotten what it is. Do you know what I am talking about? Right now my car won't start (and it's not the battery or starter!)

Take the keys out of the vehicle ,lock the vehicle & then unlock the drivers door with the key.This will tell the computer that you are the owner.

If the security light is flashing you may need to do a relearn procedure.

• Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  • Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the password).