cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years

2001 buick century: ignition switch..small metal..completly..cylinder

2001 buick century the ignition switch is broken, small metal fragments are in the key way not permitting key to completly enter slot, how do i replace cylinder
Category: Buick
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
this is going to a hard thing for you i would recommend getting a locksmith to help you out the ignition cylinder has to be able to turn to the on position to remove it and since yours wont the cylinder needs to be drilled out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
once the cylinder is drilled out, turn to on position, use pin inserted into the bottom of column, is the solution just to replace cylinder or is any thing else needed
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 373859  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
  2. Remove the upper and lower steering column trim covers.
  3. Disconnect the ignition lock cylinder electrical connector from the wiring harness on the column.
  4. Put the key in the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
  5. Turn the key to the START position.
  6. Install a 1/16 allen wrench (2) into the hole on top of the lock module assembly to release the steering column lock cylinder set retaining pin.
  7. Turn the steering column lock cylinder set (1) into the RUN position.
  8. Pull the steering column lock cylinder set (1) out from the lock module assembly.
  9. Remove the key from the steering column lock cylinder set (1).

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 373862  Size: SH

1. Insert the key into the steering column lock cylinder set (1).
  2. Line up the locking tab (2) and the positioning tab (3) of the steering column lock cylinder set with the locking tab slot (5) and the positioning tab slot (4) in the lock module assembly (6).
  3. Push the steering column lock cylinder set (1) into the lock module assembly (6).
  4. Rotate the steering column lock cylinder set (1) in the lock module assembly (6) into all positions.
  5. Connect the ignition lock cylinder electrical connector to the wiring harness on the column.
  6. Install the upper and lower steering column trim covers.
  7. Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: master tech automotive shop owner and tech 25 years