kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Car making knocking noise. It will not stay running. Why?

Customer Question

My car isn't running right. It makes a knocking noise and won't stay running. Any ideas?

Category: Buick
Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 years ago.

The knocking noise can be from a bad bearing, cracked flex plate, or the rocker arm bolts could have come out of the head. Can you tell me when the knocking noise happens? Does it stop knocking any time the engine is running? How long will the engine run?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The knocking happens as soon as I start the car and it will run for anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes before it turns off. The knocking never stops. It slows down and speeds up and with the engine. I checked the oil. Nothing in it. Just oil and no metal part and it's full. I didn't add any oil.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 years ago.

If you put the car in gear, does the knocking change tone or almost stop?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The knocking changes tone when I put it in gear. It kind of sounds the same, but different cause the car isn't at idle.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 years ago.

Can you try this for me, with a breaker bar " not a ratchet". Use a socket that will fit the front crank shaft bolt and wiggle the crank back and forth to see if you hear a knocking noise? If you do then the flex plate is cracked or broken and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Let me check into this and I'll get back to you. I got to go to where the car is.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 7 years ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Well I checked what you told me and I had an auto repair guy come over to help me and the engine you were talking about is the 3800 and I have the 3100.