kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q

My car isnt running right it make a knocking noise and won&

Customer Question

My car isn't running right it make a knocking noise and won't stay running. Any ideas
Category: Buick
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
The knocking noise can be from a bad bearing, cracked flex plate, or the rocker arm bolts could have come out of the head. Can you tell me when the kooking noise happens? Does it stop kooking any time the engine is running? How long will the engine run?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The knocking happens soon as i start the car and it will run for anywhere from 5 secs to 3 minutes before it turns off. The knocking never stops it slows down and speeds up and with the engine. I checked the oil nothing in it just oil and no metal part and it's full I didn't add any oil.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
If you put the car in gear does the knocking change tone or almost stop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the knocking changes tone when i put it in gear kinda sounds the same but different cause car isn't at idle.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.

can you try this for me, With a breaker bar " not a ratchet" use a socket that will fit the front crank shaft bolt and wiggle the crank back and forth to see if you here a knocking noise? If you do then the flex plate is cracked or broken and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me check into this and i'll get back to you. I got to go to where the car is.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well i checked what you told me and i had a auto repair guy come over to help me and the
engine your talking about it the 3800 and i have the 3100 sorry also the motor is blown once again sorry for taken your time but you where not even close
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
I was wanting you to check to see if the flex plate was cracked not the balancer on the 3800. To check the balancer on the 3800 all you have to do is put your hand on the alternator pulley and see if it will move back and forth. By rocking the crank shaft at the crank blot if you heard the knocking noise that would be a very strong indicator of a cracked flex plate. If you had heard no noise then the knocking would have been an internal knock and the engine would need to be rebuilt or replaced. The 3.1 is nothing like the 3.8 engine. If there was an easy way to get to the flex plate then I would have had you go that route but as there is no cover to remove to get to it easily I wanted you to turn the crank "not the balancer".