BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

my 93 buick regal 3800 shuts off while driving. sometimes it

my 93 buick regal 3800 shuts off while driving. sometimes it starts right back up and sometimes it has to sit for an hour and sometimes when I put it in neutral and roll it forward or backwards it starts up. I had 2 diagnostics on the car and nothing came back bad. On the same token it never shut off. We could not get it to repeat the problem. I heard it could be the crank sensor. I replaced the fuel pump,battery, alternator, in-line filter,fuel regulator,coils, ignition control unit and the starter since i had the car this past year. My car has been smogged passed with no problems
Category: Buick
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Greetings,

Does it shut off at cruising speeds or when coming up to a stop?

Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cruisin speed and slowning down i know that im not receiving any spark from the coils
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Does the check engine light flicker or come on?

Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no check engine light comes on only the check gauges when its off
Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
I would say it is probably a crankshaft sensor. When the problem happens you will need to see if you have injector pulse (pulsing signal at injectors). If no injector pulse, when it fails to start, verify power and ground for the ignition module. Verify both inputs from the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor to the ignition module. Depending on which signal is missing replace that part. Let me know if i can help further. There was also some pcm problems with these but sounds more like a crank sensor.

graphic

graphic

Bob
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would that cause the car not to start after shuting it down. Sometimes the car wont start back up if i was just driving t.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  BigBob replied 6 years ago.
Yes that is the exact symptom that happens. Sometime you can actually pour cold water on the sensor and it will start working. Let me know if I can help further.

Bob