Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Buick Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1988 Buick Regal: Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter..crankshaft

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Buick Regal 2.8L. Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, crankshaft positioning sensor; car will start and run excellent. After driving for a couple of miles, when the car is shut off, it will no longer re-start. When turning key over, can hear a popping noise comming from the throttle body. Car only has 92,000 miles and has been exceptionally maintained. Sat for approximately a year without being driven.
Category: Buick
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Will engine start and run correctly after the engine cools down?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sometimes. The car sometimes will start within an hour, other times it takes more then 24 hours before it will start again. Also,

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Also,.... is there more?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No sorry, I thought there was but I forgot to delete the also part. Thats all I can think of right now. Any other questions I can answer for you?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
The problem is typical of a bad ignition control module. That would be the component I would suggest changing. The ignition module is located under the ignition coils.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Replaced the ignition control module, but it did not fix my problem. Still the same problem. Could it possibly be the oil sending unit? If not, what would be the next probable faulty part?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
If the car will not start at all after stalling, it is most likely not the oil pressure sending unit. When the engine will not start, remove a spark plug wire and crank the engine to check for spark. If you have spark, try spraying starting fluid into the intake and see if the engine will start. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have already tried this. After stalling, there is no spark in any cylinder.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Upon trying starting fluid, the car starts, but only for 30 seconds, then died again.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

The problem is fuel related. Try swapping out the fuel pump relay. It is located in the left side electrical center, as shown below.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Checked the ECU, is sending out code 43 now. Any idea what this is?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Code 43 sets when the signal wire from the knock sensor is open or shorted
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cleared all codes, re-assembled car and began to drive it. Car ran fine until engaging passing gear, then car begins to die unless you let off the gas.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Install fuel pressure gauge and drive vehicle. Does fuel pressure drop off when the problem occurs?